Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIM 360 program instead of a browser viewer

BIM 360 program instead of a browser viewer

With BIM 360, you created a very powerful platform.

A browser viewer considerably limits the use of this platform.

You need to have a program, - with Office 365 and other programs integration,- to utilize BIM 360 platform effectively.  Similar to Newforma, but using modern programmatic concepts and design. 

7 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the concept of increased functionality by using an actual app, rather than a web-interface.  However, this would add a level of complication for all of our customer, contractors, outside engineering firms and field personnel.  As well as another dimension of IT headaches, updates and general distress.

Conceptually, a good idea.  Practically, not practical.

bshevelev
Enthusiast

Thank you for your comment.

I see your point. The convenience of the web interface is obvious. The limitations are obvious, too. The main one is an absence of programs integration. Desktop Connector with no locks serves no purpose. Autodesk should fully integrate DC with File Explorer, but I don't think that would be enough. We need a file management program, - not instead, but in addition to the web viewer/interface. Current limitations severely affect BIM 360 usability. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not wish full integration of Adobe Acrobat DC on anyone.  The program is bloated, expensive and riddled with issues when integrating with other programs.  The amount of time our company has wasted using DC just to print from Revit is mind boggling.  I personally have troubleshot these issues with both Autodesk and Adobe, and it still is occasionally frustrating beyond belief.  If you want the files to open in a PDF editor:

• You must have MS Edge installed and set to open file types PDF
  • You must have Admin rights to the project
  • Open the PDF Viewer option from "Project Files"
  • Select Browser (default) and click save.
    • Now when you open a PDF it will open in edge with some editing capabilities.

Personally, I can think of no reason why I would do this.  Editing a PDF is often only a band-aid.  Shouldn't the original document be edited and a new PDF created?

I agree with your Desktop Connector comment.  I find it more of an annoyance than useful.  Also it seems to be locking up when doing a background action that I do not remember asking to to do.

bshevelev
Enthusiast

I didn't mean Acrobat DC, I meant "integrate Desktop Connector with File Explorer" Sorry for the confusion.

On the related note, we use Blue Beam to mark-up PDFs. We would be happy to use mark-up functionality of BIM 360 if Autodesk would bring it to the level of Autodesk Design Review. Current mark-up capability is ridiculously primitive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No worries 🙂

We use Bluebeam as well and have similar print issues as Acrobat.

Actually, I find the mark-up tools in BIM 360 very acceptable when compared to Bluebeam, and BIM 360 has an additional advantage.  The mark-ups are permanently attached to each project.  No other filing or coordination required.  When our group creates a Mark-up they share that PDF file with other in the group for action to be taken.  Of course if more detailed information is required the use of issues is preferred and they provide continuous very visible tracking.

I enjoy these types of discussions and your responses!

Gary

bshevelev
Enthusiast

Thank you for sharing your experience with BIM 360 mark-up tools. I appreciate it. We are just starting and hope to benefit from the BIM 360 advanced features, including reviews and issues, but I prepare myself for a wave of complaints from the users switching from the feature rich mark-up tools of Bluebeam to the super-minimalistic capability of BIM 360. Autodesk must take an action in that regard,

We don't use Bluebeam for printing,, only for the mark-ups, We use PDF995 to print from Revit, it is much superior to Bluebeam as a printer 

joan_allen
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report