Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering Bifrost Foam with Arnold

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2930 Views, 5 Replies

Rendering Bifrost Foam with Arnold

Hi,

i have been trying without any success to render my foam particles with Arnold.

I can see the foam as its generated.

i assign to a Arnold volume shader.

I am using an Arnold dome light.

When I render I get nothing.

I am using Maya 2019 with the latest version of Arnold.

Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers,

Jeff

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
wongt
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

I have verified internally that foam is rendering with Maya 2019 and the latest Arnold.

We do have an outstanding issue (reference BIFROST-3389) where creating foam no longer is assigned a aiStandardVolume so the user will have to set that up manually. 

It looks like you are already doing this though.  Would you be able to provide an example scene so we can take a look? 

More information on Arnold's support of Bifrost Foam can be found here - https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5AFMUG/Bifrost.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: wongt

Hi,

I have attached a scene file for you.

Many thanks for looking at this.

Cheers,

Jeff

Message 4 of 6
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: Anonymous

I have Bifrost 2.0 installed, so I had to do this:

// File read in  6.6 seconds.
// Warning: Bifrost: to use the updated Bifrost graphs in Maya, graph |bifrostLiquid1|bifrostLiquidContainer1 needs to be updated to the latest version, call mel script: replaceBifrostFXGraphsWithFactoryGraphs |bifrostLiquid1|bifrostLiquidContainer1 ;  // 

Then disconnect all the Standard Surfaces from the SG on foamShape1, leaving just the Standard Volume.

And the foam renders.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 5 of 6
wongt
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Hello,

To expand on Stephen's findings, it looks like the scene file attached was made in an older Maya.  In order to update the bifrost nodes, you will need to invoke the (replaceBifrostFXGraphsWithFactoryGraphs |bifrostLiquid1|bifrostLiquidContainer1;) script first.  This script does not update the shader connection and you may need to recreate the aiVolume shader and assign it to the foam.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: wongt

Thank you both.

Got it working.

Ran the script you mentioned and reassigned volume shaders and success.

Many thanks,

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report