Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liquid Mesh Results are Globby (but scene scale is correct)

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
calebmcginnis
312 Views, 5 Replies

Liquid Mesh Results are Globby (but scene scale is correct)

I am trying to simulate a space ship coming out of the water, but am experiencing multiple issues that have me scratching my head.

1st issue: My liquid mesh results are very globby-looking. It makes my ship look like a toy emerging from a bowl. I know that this usually has to do with the scene scale being too small, but I believe that my scene scale is set up correctly. Maybe I am wrong though? My BOSS alembic guide mesh is 30x30 units, so it slightly bigger than my grid, and the live-action video plate that I'm planning to composite the rendered sim into has a river that is about 30m wide. For my bifrost liquid I'm using the standard 9.8m/s gravity value and my density is set to 1000 in my emitter properties. 

2nd issue: Before the top of ship even breaks through the surface, my particles start violently dispersing and forming a 'shockwave' that goes out to the bounds of my emission region (cylinder). When I set my emission region to be a cube, same thing occurred except it was a square shockwave instead of circular. I don't have 'boundary' enabled for my emission region, so the particles do not collide with it and the liquid container auto-scales, however the shape of the shockwave mimics the shape of the emission region. I don't understand why the ship displacing the particles creates this intense wave so far away from it, before there is even a bulge [for lack of a better word 😆]  above where it emerges.

I've attached pictures that will hopefully explain what I'm describing. Happy to share more info or my project file if needed.

Bonus question: Does anyone know what the standard number of units Maya's grid should have? Because I saw somewhere that it is 12, however mine has 24 units. Perhaps this is contributing to what's throwing me off?

Labels (5)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

For your first issue, did you try lowering the master voxel size? Having a too high voxel size will add small errors in the simulation that tend to show up as unwanted diffusion/viscosity.

Message 3 of 6

Yes, my master voxel size is set very low, to 0.1. 

Message 4 of 6

If you are confident it's not a scene scale issue then I think we will unfortunately need to see a scene file to determine what the problem is.

Message 5 of 6

I would also try a lower master voxel size. These kinds of scene need a very low value.

Message 6 of 6

Thank you for the suggestion. I lowered the voxel size to 0.04 and am getting much better results now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report