Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I install pre-built compounds and graphs?

50 REPLIES 50
SOLVED
Message 1 of 51
JocelynM
12100 Views, 50 Replies

How do I install pre-built compounds and graphs?

As we anticipate this will be a frequently asked question we have provided both the question and answer in this thread.

Jocelyn Moffatt
Industry Marketing Manager, Media & Entertainment
50 REPLIES 50
Message 21 of 51
mjcg91
in reply to: Anonymous

In your maya.env file, are you including the config files names and extension in the path ?

Have you tried using a windows environment variable instead ?

Maxime Jeanmougin - Technical Artist
https://maximejeanmougin.com

Join the Bifrost Addicts community on Discord:
https://discord.gg/bifrost-addicts
Message 22 of 51
Anonymous
in reply to: mjcg91

My full maya.env is:

BIFROST_LIB_CONFIG_FILES=C:\full\path\to\config\ConfigFileName.json

When I launch Maya, the getenv returns:

// C:/full/path/to/config/ConfigFileName.json;C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Bifrost/Maya2020/2.1.0.0/bifrost/resources/plugin_config.json // 

I haven't tried doing it through a windows environment variable yet, but even if that works its suboptimal. I can't be guaranteed that I will be able to set that on every machine I distribute to. I will try it regardless and see though.

Message 23 of 51
Grahame_Fuller

Hi,

The JSON syntax looks fine to me.

One thing to double-check is that the JSON compound definitions are in the right path relative to the location of the library configuration file. That is, if your configuration file is in parentfolder and contains "path": "constraints/jsonLibs", then your compounds should be in parentfolder/constraints/jsonLibs (i.e. the config file should not be in constraints).

Cheers,

gray

Grahame Fuller
Learning Content Developer
Message 24 of 51
Anonymous
in reply to: Grahame_Fuller

Yep, that's how I have it set up:

ParentFolder
|_Constraints
|____jsonLibs
|_ConfigFile.json

ConfigFile.json and Constraints are both in ParentFolder, then jsonLibs is within Constraints, and the config has:

"path": "Constraints/jsonLibs"

At this points I'm wondering if it's a bug. If I move the exact files and folders into the User Bifrost directory directly, they load fine. If it's with this config file, they don't show up at all. If I unload then reload all the Bifrost plugins nothing happens. If I set the variable through windows instead of the Maya.env nothing happens. 

Message 25 of 51
syracoj

What happens if you keep the ParentFolder as JSONS then have your subdirectories with their corresponding libraries of json's under them?

So the _config.json file Path would be:

"path": "JSONS"

see attached image

tryThis.png

Message 26 of 51
syracoj
in reply to: syracoj

I forgot to add to keep the actual _config.json file parallel/sideBySide to the JSONS dir.

Message 27 of 51
Anonymous

taylorU6UJN_0-1605987863411.png

taylorU6UJN_1-1605987987797.png

taylorU6UJN_2-1605988046310.png

Just as one last test, I created a new graph, kept all the default settings, and saved it into this new JSON folder. Still no dice. 

Message 28 of 51
syracoj

k, I didn't try with a graph (that would show up in the Browser) on my end so let me try that. But, after setting that config file in the Bifrost Graph Editor are you able to press tab and find any of the associated compounds that you saved to that JSON dir?

Message 29 of 51
Anonymous

Unfortunately that didn't work either. As a stopgap I'm going to just install this stuff to the User directory but that's not really a solution.

Message 30 of 51
syracoj

after setting the envVar are you able to publish a graph to that location (or is this what you have been doing)? I would test publishing a graph (not compound) to the custom location and then see if you can import it in from the same location through the Bifrost Browser. I'll try and get a video out to you showing what I am able to do. Perhaps this will give clues as to why you are hitting issues. This of course does not rule out a legitimate defect.

Message 31 of 51
Anonymous

No luck with that either. I can export it to the desired location (just by browsing to it and settings the export path), but not import it. 

Message 32 of 51
syracoj

please see attached video. Are you doing something similar to the workflow in the video?

Message 33 of 51
anthony.dreaming
in reply to: JocelynM

If you're attempting to install more than one pre-built compound packs/folders, then do not put them in the folder .../Autodesk/Bifrost/Compounds. To get multiple packs to work, follow Maxime's instructions here. The only thing that may not be explicit in his instructions, is that you should place your pack folders in a custom folder or your making or choosing, not in the .../Autodesk/Bifrost/Compounds folder – leave that folder for own compounds that you publish from inside Maya.

After dragging your compound folders into a folder of your making or choosing, go inside the bifrost.mod file and point to the bifrost_lib_config.json files at the root of each of your compound folders. Below is how I did it for a Mac. I put my pre-built compounds in a custom folder "Bifrost_Compounds_Others" at the same hierarchy level as .../Autodesk/Bifrost/.   You may be able to put them inside the Bifrost folder, just don't put them inside /Bifrost/Compounds as pointing to them in there will throw an error.

BIFROST_LIB_CONFIG_FILES+=/Users/ac/Autodesk/Bifrost_Compounds_Others/rebel_pack_0.4.0/bifrost_lib_config.json
BIFROST_LIB_CONFIG_FILES+=/Users/ac/Autodesk/Bifrost_Compounds_Others/MJCG_compounds/bifrost_lib_config.json

2020-12-13_11-39-57.png

Message 34 of 51
Anonymous

I am having the same issue, tried al sorts of things to get the Rebel Pack graphs, which I imported to the folder stated in the instructions website, to load into my graph editor. However nothing shows up under the users tab, except for my own published compounds. If anyone has a solution to this issue please let us know.

Message 35 of 51
Anonymous
in reply to: anthony.dreaming

So where is it where I can find the "Bifrost.mod" file? I am quite new to this program and am getting rather lost between the files.
Message 36 of 51
syracoj

be advised that there will not be a namespace under the Tab menu that identifies the Rebel Pack nodes in a collected menu entry. One way to tell that the rebel pack is successfully found is to create a node that is a rebel pack type node. Try creating a create_particle_trails node. If it comes in then you have the Rebel Pack. When it comes in it should also have an R icon on the node (perhaps with an icon of a chemist's Erlenmeyer flask to indicate that it is experimental).

Message 37 of 51
yeungy

Hello JelteHoogterp,

You can find your bifrost.mod file here -

• C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Modules\Maya (Windows)
  • /usr/autodesk/modules (Linux)
  • /Users/Shared/Autodesk/modules (macOS)

In addition, anthony.dreaming also linked to Maxime's instructions, which describe how to modify the .mod file.

Hope this helps a little.

Yvonne

Message 38 of 51
Anonymous

Thank you, Syracoj. I overlooked the fact that all the nodes from the pack do seem to appear when I search for them, so thanks for the insight!
Message 39 of 51
Anonymous

So, I finally got back around to this issue and I figured out a solution. 

When you add a BIFROST_LIB_CONFIG_FILES path in Maya.env, it puts it at the beginning of that list. Apparently this is what messes it up. If I remove that line from the Maya.env, start up Maya, unload the BifrostGraph.mll plugin, then add the path back to the BIFROST_LIB_CONFIG_FILES env path via putenv, thus putting my custom path at the end of that list, it works. 
So I guess my question would be, when is the appropriate time to add my path? It seems like it needs to be before the BifrostGraph.mll plugin loads, but after Maya first initializes. 

Message 40 of 51
maverickssierra

I tired to follow the direction but there is no folder Compound in my system. I looked up everywhere it just does not exist. What should I do?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report