Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a pressure washer spray in Maya 2018

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
flueret
549 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a pressure washer spray in Maya 2018

Hello there, 

I'm looking to create an accurate pressure washer spray or as accurate as possible. I've modeled out the pressure washer, I just need the water coming out to look like a pressure washer spray instead of a garden hose. How the simulation came out.How the simulation came out.Would like the simulation to look like this as close as possible.Would like the simulation to look like this as close as possible.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Grahame_Fuller
in reply to: flueret

Hi,

You can try using a motion field to give some extra velocity to the liquid as it leaves the nozzle -- see Control velocity with Bifröst motion fields. For this situation, I'd set the shape to cylinder, then scale and position it to cover the nozzle and parent it. Turn off Direction and use Along Axis instead.

Remember that scene scale plays a big role in how the simulation works -- read more about that in Bifröst simulations and scene scale.

Also with very high velocities, you'll probably need to increase the time steps in the bifrostLiquidProperties to get a smooth result. You should try to use as few as you can get away with or else the simulation time will be unnecessarily long, but in this situation I expect they'll need to be fairly high.

I hope that helps,

gray

Grahame Fuller
Learning Content Developer
Message 3 of 5
calibrix
in reply to: flueret

Hi @flueret,

Some tips for this type of effect: High pressure / velocity sprays are very difficult to simulate well with a FLIP method. This is due to the high amount of detail and velocity involved. It’s not that it can’t be done with a FLIP solver, it’s that the amount of resolution and substeps you’ll need to resolve this well is very high. Instead, I would suggest doing this with a “dumb” particle solve and add in forces to break up your particles. There’s two main forces that you’ll want to replicate: air resistance and water cohesion. 

Air resistance is what you’ll want to break up the spray and add turbulence. I would recommend using an aero simulation that emits from the particles. You can then advect more particles into that to make mist.

For cohesion, this is more of a look thing than a sim thing. Basically, you want your particles in the main spray to clump a bit. You can do this by adding a self attraction force, or you can just vary emission so they look clumped. Mesh them so that the close by particles clump into droplets.

Message 4 of 5
flueret
in reply to: calibrix

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely try this as soon as I get a chance
too.
Message 5 of 5
flueret
in reply to: Grahame_Fuller

Thanks for the reply. I'll give this a try as well as soon as possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report