Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collider Deformer Test & Demo

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
labbejason
11054 Views, 28 Replies

Collider Deformer Test & Demo

Hey guys!

I initially developed this deformer in Python and was dreading having to port it to c++ and to make it GPU friendly, so I made myself a challenge to see if I could convert it fully to Bifrost.

And hot ****, I think it's actually working!

Here's a video of what it does with a cube and another quick test on a model's face.

In order to get it working I had to do lots of my own mini compounds.

Right now to detect if a point is inside a mesh I'm using rays. In a nutshell if the ray's total hits is odd then the point is inside the mesh, otherwise it's outside. Since Bifrost's native raycast only returns you the first hit I used a while loop to get all possible intersections, sort of like mimicking MFnMesh's allIntersections. Here's an example to check if a locator is in a mesh, and to display its first and last hits with red locators.

I also built my own smooth compound to average the collisions with adjacent verts. An attribute is exposed to bleed off the effect of the smooth, and has a toggle to visualize this (green area gets smoothed). Here's a demo of that here.

There's still much more that I can do to improve it and to increase its performance. Right now I'm trying to optimize the graph nodes as I got a few for loops in there that I'm embarrassed of. But hey, Bifrost is a beast to get this working!!

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: mjcg91

Working. Thank you 🙂

Message 22 of 29
labbejason
in reply to: Anonymous

I took a bit of a hiatus to work on some side projects, but have time today to share a little update.

Right now it's able to handle a very dense topology because the actual deformation is being done on a low poly proxy mesh. Afterwards the high-res foot steals the deformation from the proxy, making it lightweight for manipulation and playback. All of this is being done directly inside Bifrost. I also finally fixed the normals so it's easier to make out the bulge!

Here's a demo of that in action:

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: labbejason

Very cool Jason! Thanks for sharing too!

Message 24 of 29
labbejason

Thanks ShihMing! Loving your self-collision deformer as well 😄

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous

Just wanted to say great work on this!

Had a quick play and found that you can make a hacky tracer as well with feedback ports.

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous

Capture.PNGtemp.PNG

Message 27 of 29
labbejason

Wow that's really cool! I was wondering how to go about something like that to make it act like a sim. Thanks for showing that! It makes for a neat cheap snow effect.

feedback_loop.gif

Message 28 of 29
pivotgeeks

Wow, that's quite neat..

Message 29 of 29
Anonymous

Thanks for great examples but unfortuantly example does not seem to be working due to missing node definition on one of subgraph. "update_point_neighbors" May I ask if there is any custom compound need to be prepared? or is there any related built in operators I can replace to fix the issue? it would be awesome if you can share your thought!

Thanks in advance

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report