Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bifrost Feather Generator Tool

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
sachin.shrestha
5144 Views, 28 Replies

Bifrost Feather Generator Tool

Hi folks,

Somebody asked me in my webinar last week if it was possible to generate feathers in bifrost. Here is an example of that. I am also attaching my example file for people to study and build on top of. You could add another layer of barbule strands to the barbs and generate even more detail. The setup is a couple of hours work so I'm sure it can be improved a lot more.

Scene File Details:

Maya 2020.4

Bifrost 2.2.0.1

MJCG and Rebel Pack Required

Scanned for Maya malware and none found.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Sachin

Labels (1)
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Great job

Message 3 of 29
mihirsbcc
in reply to: sachin.shrestha

Nice work Sachin

Message 4 of 29

And now with barbules growing on barbs.

Updated maya scene file attached. It might be messy noodles but hopefully it shows you how to create something like this.

Naya 2020.4

Bifrost 2.2.0.1

Required compatible MJCG and Rebel Pack compounds.

# Autodesk.MayaScanner : Scan completed: no issues found

Cheers,

Sachin

Message 5 of 29
mihirsbcc

Hi Sachin, Which version MJCG ? I have 1_3_2 . I am getting error (disconnected nodes) when I open your scene.

I have rebel pack 0.4.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 29
sachin.shrestha
in reply to: mihirsbcc

Rebel Pack 0.4.0 and MJCG 1.3.2 should work. Some other users have been able to open the file without any issues after they installed those packs. So, maybe something else? Can you post a screenshot of the error? And also, when you start Maya and it loads bifrost, it outputs a log on the script editor with some info about loading bifrost and its compounds. Can you also share those messages?

Thanks,

Sachin

Message 7 of 29
mihirsbcc

Thanks Sachin. I do have both rebel pack 04 and MJCG 1.3.2. I will take
some screenshots and post them.
Message 8 of 29
mihirsbcc

Fixed my compound folder and it is working now.

Message 9 of 29
mihirsbcc

I fixed my problem. It is working now.

Message 10 of 29
mihirsbcc

You mentioned about your webinar. Can I join your webinar?

Message 11 of 29
sepu6

Message 12 of 29
mihirsbcc
in reply to: sepu6

Awesome webinar Sachin. I am glad that you gave a demo of your terrine carving.  Can I email you some times? I am in US. Started my 3D instructor carrier20 years back at Prasad Video Digital in Chennai.

Message 13 of 29
mihirsbcc

Awesome webinar Sachin. I am glad that you gave a demo of your terrine carving. Can I email you some times? I am in US. Started my 3D instructor carrier20 years back at Prasad Video Digital in Chennai.

Message 14 of 29
vnvnvn007

When I render it on Arnold, There are no barbs. I can see the barbs in view port. But I can't see it in final render view. 
How can it be fixed.

Message 15 of 29
sachin.shrestha
in reply to: vnvnvn007

I had reported this to Arnold folks and they confirmed it was a bug. Not sure if it got fixed in the latest release as I haven't tested this yet but you could try with the latest arnold and bifrost versions.

Message 16 of 29
mihirsbcc

Renders only the main strands, not the micro fibers. Latest Arnold.

Message 17 of 29
sachin.shrestha

In that case, most likely it's not fixed yet.

Message 18 of 29
valhallen

Awesome work! 

Message 19 of 29

It looks like those barbs are not rendering because there are a few NANs in there. 

The easiest way to test for a NaN in programming is by checking if it's equal to itself. Every comparison with a NaN in floating point numbers is false, so a NaN is not equal to itself. (Note - do not use "not equal", since every comparison with a NaN is false.

I've attached a compound that finds NaNs in point positions and sets them to {0,0,0} as an example. 

Jonah Friedman
Bifrost Product Manager
Message 20 of 29

Yes, the arnold logs did report NaNs but I think the part that trips me up is that bifrost is able to compile the graph whereas the arnold procedural fails (rightly so in case of NaNs). Would be good to have consistent behavior across both to detect issues while building the graph.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report