Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bifrost Benchmark

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
morteza.cg
4398 Views, 43 Replies

Bifrost Benchmark

woudn't it be cool to know how different processors perform with bifrost?!

it can help us build better pc and workstations for bifrost simulations.

I have never created a benchmark before so it may not be that good but i hope that even in it's current state it come in handy.

currently it's only for Aero, let's check it and if it was working as expected i will add mpm and instancing as well.

when you open the scene file you will see this window.

Screenshot (41).png

• at the very top you have two check box one for pausing viewport, it can help you if you don't have a powerful gpu. it's checked by default.

when you run any of the aero sims it will write a text file for you with your spec and simulation time

• if the second checkbox is enable it will remove that result file and create a new file for you everytime you run the simulaton and if you leave it off it will keep adding to same file.

after that we have 3 button each one will run a simulation.

• Explosion: a combustion test for an explosion like simulaton, it will run for 30 frame but source is only active for first 5 frame.
  • Smoke: a basic smoke with collision, simulation will run for 100 frame
  • rolling flame: a continous combustion simulation, it will run for 30 frame

after you run each simulation it will show the simulation time in the fields on the right.

----

Moderator's note: Removed the scene due to it containing the scriptJob described here. Please use the security tools for Maya. An updated version has been posted in the thread below. 

Labels (1)
43 REPLIES 43
Message 21 of 44
morteza.cg
in reply to: Anonymous

3990x is really a powerful processor.

I updated the scene and added the "has property" node for all 3 graphs.

the benchmark window should open as soon as you open the scene but if you should be careful not to save over the file or it will no longer contain my script and the window won't show up.

I also attached a mel file to manually open the benchmark window just make sure the scene is also open or the mel file won't do anything by itself.

Message 22 of 44
mihirsbcc
in reply to: morteza.cg

I added those 3 nodes manually. Strange thing is that , while opening your scene few times..... I did see once those 3 nodes and the value  of 0 7000 an 0 30.... I do not know what they do but simulation did work. The result of smoke dropped down 20%.  

Message 23 of 44
mihirsbcc

thanks for update
Message 24 of 44
Anonymous

I'll test this updated scene out now. There is a bug somewhere I think. My 3990X has SMT on, so your UI ought to have reported 128 cores/threads, it only shows 64. Maybe that's an issue with the hardware command? @morteza.cg 

Message 25 of 44
sawasawayaka

Hey, guys I tested it on the latest AMD CPUs.
3995WX and 5950X
Interestingly As for the smoke test, the 5950X gave faster results no matter how many times I tested it.
Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX.pngRyzen9 5950X.jpg

Message 26 of 44
morteza.cg
in reply to: sawasawayaka

Amazing results! Thanks for sharing.

Message 27 of 44
morteza.cg

mortezacg_0-1667986271903.png

result from an i9 11900K

tested the benchmark again today with maya 2023 and bifrost 2.5. it seems like "has property" node doesn't work the way it used to.

at first it didn't even run the simulations.  i had to connect the simulation directly to the output and then disconnect it and only left the has property node and then it would run!

Message 28 of 44

Hi Morteza,

Thanks for reporting the issue with "has_property". Unfortunately we're not able to reproduce. It seems to work fine on our side. If you find an easy-to-repro case, please let us know.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 29 of 44

bo hoo i cant get it to run on my mac studio ultra.  

Message 30 of 44

Hi Thomas,

Does Morteza's workaround above (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bifrost-forum/bifrost-benchmark/m-p/11540505/highlight/true#M7456) make it work?

If not, which version of Maya/Bifrost are you using?

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 31 of 44

Hi

bifrost 2.5.1.0

Maya 2023.2

the primitives don't show up. - I replaced them with new ones and replaced the areo system nothing comes out on 

using the project has_property""

unlinking that also makes no difference.  

any ideas 

cheers thomas   the new mac studio ultra is very fast (20 cores. )but we may never know how fast with bifrost ! 

Message 32 of 44

Hi Thomas,

Sorry, I missed this is related to the M1 chip. Unfortunately, there are no released versions of Bifrost that support M1 at the moment.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 33 of 44

Hi Michael

but Bifrost works fine on the M1 - except for this benchmark - what do you mean ?

cheers

Thomas  

Message 34 of 44

I have been using Bifrost on M1 chip  every day for nearly 5 months with no issues whatsoever  

Message 35 of 44

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the confusion my reply caused.

What I meant was that Bifrost does not natively support Apple Silicon (including M1), and at the time of writing I thought that might explain your issues. But since you're able to run Bifrost and it runs smoothly in all other cases I assume you're using the translation layer, Rosetta 2.

We will have a look at the scene file with similar hardware and software versions to see if we can reproduce the issue.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 36 of 44

hey great. well even in rosetta its 10x faster like everything is than my old puter. Now you mention it when are you going to port to apple silicon - its been nearly 2 years since the first silicon macs and im already planning to get a m2 ultra when they come out which i think will be faster than any pc on the market but who knows- definitely for the price point with a m1 ultra wins also on energy consumption . would be good to see a rosetta and then a native  benchmark. all the best thomas

Message 37 of 44

Exciting to hear about the great performance. I agree it will be interesting to see native vs Rosetta performance. We're not allowed to discuss release dates, but I can say that we're working on native support.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 38 of 44

@thomaslisle1309 FYI, another developer tested out the benchmarks on M1 with Rosetta but unfortunately was unable to reproduce the issues you're seeing. If you gain further insight into why it might be failing or a workaround, please let us know.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 39 of 44

hi its a shame no one in arnold or maya support seems to have a silicon mac, odd.  I'm really up to my eye balls in stuff to do, its not really a priority, great to hear someone got it working, maybe I'm missing something - could very easily happen! 

cheers Thomas 

Message 40 of 44
morteza.cg

i913900.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report