Did you mean: 

Convert .cad file to .dwg

83 REPLIES 83
SOLVED
Message 1 of 84
Anonymous
17378 Views, 83 Replies

Convert .cad file to .dwg

Hello!. I want to use a model I found but the format is in .cad, I did a lot of research and can't find at least a demo or trial of QuickCAD that I think was used to create the file. I downloaded other CAD programs but none recognize .cad 

Can someone assist me to convert the file?, I really need access to the file, and converting to .dwg will give me more choices to use the file (at least open with DWG Trueview?).  

Tags (3)
83 REPLIES 83
Message 41 of 84
thixoman
in reply to: Kevin.Hutch

hi Kevin, ,  what is your solution to some of these ".cad" files, ,  have a 50-50 shot at them, ,  what are you using ?

Message 42 of 84
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: thixoman

Hi Al, I use Autosketch exclusively and as these files come through this forum, I assume most will be old Autosketch or predesessors files.

As you know even better than me, not all CAD files can be read by Autosketch so I just try and if not successful use an editor to see  if I can guess the source program.

Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 43 of 84
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: dwdagger

Unfortunately Dave,  Autosketch will not open these files and looking in the file it starts with V11.000 no indicating the package that created it.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 44 of 84
dwdagger

Kevin,

Thank you for trying. I believe the original files were created on a software called Cadra.

Regards,
Dave
Message 45 of 84
davsonrock
in reply to: Anonymous

According to my 3 years of experience; I can say that this is the best site for converting DWG files for free! Click here and get there~

Message 46 of 84
thixoman
in reply to: davsonrock

well, good to know, but useless if not .DWG format to begin with, , and that is the primary issue  with the file types in question here, , autosketch, until Version 5 did not have capabilities to save as DWG., ,

Message 47 of 84
ivan.mikov2001

Hello Kevin , 

As i have seen in the forum you can convert .cad files to .dwg, I would really appreciate if you could help me with my file. Plese find it attached below. Thank you in advance.

Message 48 of 84

With a header of 

HEADER
VERSION 4.02
EKATTE 68134
NAME £°. ‘®´¨¿
PROGRAM ˆˆ‘Šˆ v.4.1.20
DATE 02.03.2022
FIRM ‘ƒŠŠ €ƒŠŠ
REFERENCE 4729289.000 315906.000
WINDOW 0.000 0.000 112.673 104.075
COORDTYPE 2005, «²¨©±ª 
CONTENTS PART
COMMENT
END_HEADER

Plus a date of 02.03.2022, it is a recently generated file of what appears an extract from a cadaster or property boundary record system I would expect from a local council. It appears to contain over 130 lat/long points, but the format "L 140 48580076 2 02.03.2022 0 1 112.156 101.732 0 0 0;" is alien to me, clearly not an Autosketch file, so sorry I can not open it. 

It may be from  a Geocortex file the "Essentials technology for the Esri® ArcGIS platform. ,  the only cadaster program I have a viewer for, but I still can not see how to open it as a drawing file.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 49 of 84

Thank you gor trying. 

Message 50 of 84
thixoman

Kevin,  I have no idea how you found all that info about the file, , , crystal ball ???

Message 51 of 84
Kevin.Hutch

Not rocket science just open the file with any editor ie notebook and mostly the header is easily deciphered.

Regards,
Kevin
be part of the solution
from my Android phone
Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 52 of 84
thixoman

DUH,  brain fart here, ,  lolol

Message 53 of 84
Kevin.Hutch

DUH me too, that was notepad not notebook and often scrolling right through the file amongst all the gobbledygook there are ASCII words that give more insight to the file source/origin/subject as well.  I say this not so much for your info but others that may not realise where their files come from or what they contain. Sometimes it shows a copyright statement that may make it tricky to convert. 

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 54 of 84

Hi Kevin,

Are you still able to convert .CAD files to .DWG files. If so, I would be grateful if you could process the attached.

My apologies as there are about 30 files. 

Thanks in advance

Message 55 of 84

Unfortunately not all CAD files can be opened by Autosketch.

Using notepad I can open these files and see they start with V10 and I have seen this before, but Ido not know what the original program was. Looking in the files there are a lot of text references that indicate they are 115v electrical drawings, but other than that I can not help

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 56 of 84

Thanks for trying....it's much appreciated.

Message 57 of 84
mike4ddl

Message 58 of 84
mike4ddl

Hi @Kevin.Hutch ,

If you're still able to convert .CAD files to .DWG, are you able to try? I have 8 here and it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Message 59 of 84
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: mike4ddl

Your lucky day Merry Christmas

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 60 of 84
sxmienbac

I have had some success with CAD files and am willing to try for you, post or send a file and I will have a look at it, Autosketch can;

READ

AutoCAD Drawing File (*.DWG)

Autosketch (*.SKF)

Autosketch v2.x (*.SKD)

Drafix CAD v3.x/v4.x (*CAD)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report