Autodesk Desktop App (Read-Only)
Welcome to the Autodesk Desktop App Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug Report; Autodesk Desktop App makes cpu idle at least 15 degrees hotter

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
3024 Views, 17 Replies

Bug Report; Autodesk Desktop App makes cpu idle at least 15 degrees hotter

PC Specs;

Ryzen 5 1600x @ 3.9ghz
Asrock Taichi X370
Team Dark Pro ddr4 3000 16gb @ 3200mhz

Evga 1070 SC hybrid cooled
Kingston 120gb SSD
Seagate 1Tb 5400rpm HDD
EVGA NEX 750B
EKWB cooling loop on processor
Windows 10 home

Backround;

Shortly after doing some updates for Fusion 360 and Autocad I noticed my cpu was idling in the high 40s, low 50s. At first I suspected that I needed to re apply thermal paste and re seat my waterblock, this changed nothing. Next I disassembled the cooling loop and fully flushed it with Mayhems Blitz, still no change. I then went through task manager and noticed the autodesk desktop app I had never seen before, I terminated the process. Instantly I watched my idle temp plummet into the low 30s high 20s. I've disabled the Autodesk Desktop App on startup but it still executes on a fresh boot anyway, so I'm forced to manually open task manager and kill off the process every time I boot my PC. Why is a backround app causing my processor to generate so much heat? I see less heat generation when playing games like CSGO than I do when Desktop App is running in the backround. Am I ok to just uninstall this app entirely and perform all my Autodesk updates manually?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
hve-architecten
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

I have noticed the same behaviour with an intel i7 4790k cpu.

It appears that the autodesk desktop app keeps the cpu at a relatively high frequency !!

Killing the dekstop app within taskmanager and the delete the app solves the problem for me. Cpu drops from 10% usage / +/- 3 ghz to 0% / 0,8 ghz

Message 3 of 18
pendean

I agree with @hve-architecten observation too: uninstall the DesktopApp will calm down your PC's behavior.
Message 4 of 18
srinivasarao.potla

Hello@kevinmanore,

Thanks for your feedback.

I would like to know more about this issue. Could you please send me the log files?

Please find the attachment for log file instructions.

Regards,

Srinivas.

Message 5 of 18

Hello@hve-architecten,

Thanks for your feedback.

I would like to know more about this issue. Could you please send me the log files?

Regards,

Srinivas

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: srinivasarao.potla

attached is a zipped folders containing the files i generated by following your instructions. 

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

that is what im currently in the process of doing, was just concerned that it may causes issues for me when i go to use fusion360 or autocad in the near future

Message 8 of 18
pendean

I've never installed the useless DesktopApp since it showed up back in R2016 and through R2018 I've never seen any problems for anyone in our entire office because of it.

It should never affect any of your other Autodesk software.
Message 9 of 18
srinivasarao.potla

Hello@kevinmanore,

Thanks for sharing the log files, unfortunately the log files are not good.

Could you please follow the instructions and send me the log files again?

Regards,

Srinivas.

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: srinivasarao.potla

I followed them to the letter last time, not sure how they could be bad. Do I need to leave the app running for an extended period of time? If so then sorry but I am not willing to leave that app running longer than is necessary to follow the debug instructions

Message 11 of 18
hve-architecten

Well i have not found any use for the desktop app so if i find it installed again i just disable and deinstall the app!

Message 12 of 18
srinivasarao.potla

Hello@kevinmanore,

Thanks for your response. we appreciate it. 

I think you don't need to run Autodesk desktop app for extended time. just exit App and follow the instructions and start app and collect the log files. 

Regards,

Srinivas.

Message 13 of 18

Hello@kevinmanore,

Are you still seeing this issue, if so, can you send me the log files?

Please find the attachment for how to generate log files.

Regards,

Srinivas.

Message 14 of 18
gpgUZFGV

It's now 2019 and I just noticed the same thing. When I ran powercfg.exe /energy report this app is chewing up CPU time and requesting silly timer resolutions. Here's a screengrab showing AcWebBrowser.exe busily wasting power:

Autodesk Desktop.png

It would be nice if this could be fixed. In the meantime, I recommend uninstalling it. I did.

Message 15 of 18
manu.gupta
in reply to: gpgUZFGV

Hi @gpgUZFGV 

Thanks for posting your concern. Can you let us know which version of ADA you have installed on your machine. It should be 7.0.15.17.

You can download and install latest ADA from here: https://www.autodesk.com/desktop-app

Let us know if you still experience the issue after installing latest version of ADA.

Regards,

Manu

Message 16 of 18
manu.gupta
in reply to: manu.gupta

Hi May we know if you have checked that you have latest version of ADA. Please send us the log files if you still see the issue. Regards, Manu
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: manu.gupta

Has anyone recently noticed that the ADA, upon booting into Windows 10, is multiplying itself many times ? I am on Windows 10, 1909 18363.535 and ADA7.0.21.15

Every time i boot windows, windows is almost impossible to use because of one reason - the ADA wont stop multiplying itself - so if you go to the task manager you can see an endless list of ADA. I havent counted how many, but its at least 30 or 40 last time i counted. This slows down the computer so much you cannot use it. Currently i have to run a kill switch from the powershell to end all such instances in one click. Whats going on with this app ??

Message 18 of 18
pendean

Uninstall that garbage and reclaim your CPU usage.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report