Autodesk Desktop App (Read-Only)
Welcome to the Autodesk Desktop App Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the language

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
4193 Views, 11 Replies

Change the language

The Autodesk desktop app is German - I assume this is because my Windows locale is set to German - however, my Windows 10 is an English Windows (so everything is in English, except for the locale/date settings).

It is very annoying now that the Autodesk app is in German, and there does not seem to be a way to change the language to English. Just because my date & time setting is on German, doesn't mean I want this app to display itself in German - that's very presumptuous.

How can I change the language?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
manu.gupta
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

Welcome to the ADA forum. Can you try following steps on your Win 10 machine :

1. Exit ADA.

2. Go to Control Panel -> Clock, Language, and Region

3. Click on Region -> Change Location.

4. Click on Format tab, change the selection in dropdown list to preferred language like English (United states). Click on Apply and then OK.

5. Launch ADA.

Let us know if it solves your issue of displaying Autodesk app  in German. Kindly "Accept Solution" if it solves your issue.

Best Regards,

Manu

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: manu.gupta

Dear Manu,

I can't see how that would be a solution. My Windows is set to English, but my locale (date settings etc.) is deliberately set to German. I am not from the US and I cannot use US (or GB for that matter) region format settings. I cannot see how you would think it's a good idea to have me change the Date & time format to US when I am not from the US. I want to use ADA in English, not set my Date & time format to US.

Message 4 of 12
manu.gupta

Hi @Anonymous

There is some misunderstanding. We didn't request you to change your machine's date & time settings. They will remain the same.

We asked you to change the format settings which comes in Region section of control panel. As ADA takes that region and shows the language accordingly:

1. Exit ADA.

2. Go to Control Panel -> Clock, Language, and Region

3. Click on Region -> "Change Location".

4. Click on Format tab, change the selection in drop down list to your preferred language like English (United states). Click on Apply and then OK.

5. Launch ADA and check if it works for you.

Let us know in case there is still problem. 

Best Regards,

Manu

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Hi Manu,

Sorry for using the wrong word, but the Format setting is what I meant with "Date & time" setting. It is called both in the Windows settings dialog actually. I can't see how changing the Format setting would be a solution. My Windows is set to English, but my locale (Format setting etc.) is deliberately set to German. I am not from the US and I cannot use US (or GB for that matter) region format settings. I cannot see how you would think it's a good idea to have me change the Format setting to US when I am not from the US. I want to use ADA in English, not set my Format settings to US. We don't use US or UK Format settings here in Germany. We have German Format, but we still use the English language.

Message 6 of 12
manu.gupta

Hi @Anonymous

We are not asking you to change date and time settings, please see region settings in control panel. Here in format it shows, by default, "Match windows display language(recommended)". So ADA takes this language as it is German for your machine. for reference, please check Capture1.PNG

However, if you change the value of drop down list to "English (Germany)", click on Apply and press OK. When you launch ADA it will take this language setting and display in English. Please check screenshot Capture2.PNG

Let us know, it should solve your issue. I have tested this and that's why recommended this solution to you.

Best Regards,

Manu

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Hi Manu,

This doesn't work. "English (Germany)" has a different format than "German (Germany)". We specify the date in dd.MM.yyyy, not in dd/MM/yyyy, and the same for the "Long date", where we use a dot after the day. See the screenshot:

region_format.pngAgain, we are not in a position to change the Region Format, because we use the German format, and not "English (Germany)". All I ask for is to set the *language* of *ADA* to English, since our *Windows* is English and installed in English language, as can be see from the screenshot - all dialog options and labels are in English (The specific Windows is Windows 10 Pro *en-GB*).

Message 8 of 12
manu.gupta

Hi @Anonymous

ADA by default takes local settings. So if you want ADA UI to be in English then you will have to change local settings to English.

Hope it clarifies and solves your issue.

Regards,

Manu

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Well I'm sorry, but I cannot accept this as a solution. An application should not force a particular format locale on a user to be able to use an app in a particular language, particularly English. Many users run an English Windows with their home-country format locale and want to use apps in English as well (as their Windows is in English).

Message 10 of 12
manu.gupta

Hi @Anonymous

Apologies,  this limitation is by design. We will put your suggestion in "to be discussed and enhanced in future" list.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards

Manu

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Any Update?

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I wouldn't count on it. You'll probably just have to use your Autodesk account online (via web browser) to check for and install updates. The Desktop app is not worth much anyway, bloatware.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report