AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusing an existing project stored on wks1 to use on wks2

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
339 Views, 5 Replies

Reusing an existing project stored on wks1 to use on wks2

Hi Folks

Brand new to forum.  Sorry if this seems its been asked before but my situation has some unique differences.  I completed a P3D project (without connected P&ID data) and proceeded to copy the top level folder in windows and paste to a temp storage drive.  This retained all project data and folder structure including project xml & associated xml's and specs & catalogues.  Unfortunately at the time I didn't realize I could move or copy a P3D project so didn't copy the associated databases from SQL Server Express.   

I'd like to know if its still possible to create a new P3D project based on above partially copied project above.  As a bear minimum I'd like to be able to reuse the above existing project spec? 

Any suggestions appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MateusMaciel
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes it is possible, I was just in doubt if you copied the dcf files that are the local banks of the project and that are in the project folder. If you have copied, I see two options:

1- You can edit the configuration xml's to make it a SQLite project and then use the plant 3d tool to return to a SQLServer project.

2- If you do not have dcf banks, you can try to import the dwg for a new project, with the same structure as the previous one.

mateustilapa@gmail.com
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: MateusMaciel

Thanks Mateus

I have 5 dcf files located in the project root folder see below?   

Iso.dcf

Misc.dcf

Ortho.dcf

Piping.dcf

ProcessPower.dcf

Are these the files you refer too?

Which configuration xml's are you referring to and how might one edit these files to make SQLite project?  This is exactly what I'd like to do.  Thanks again

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Tried to open project.xml and received following error msg:

This does make sense since the SQL server express instance was not copied.  

Seems without the instance (or project backup or copy of it) there is no way to either 1) copy from existing project.xml or open existing project.xml?

errorOpeningPrj.JPG

Message 5 of 6
MateusMaciel

@Anonymous , I did this procedure on a SQL Server project, but I used the vault, so that could have been it.

But then try the 2nd option, I created a project like the previous one and copy the dwg's to within the project

mateustilapa@gmail.com
Message 6 of 6

create the new project using the old project template file and copy all the dwg form old to new.

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report