AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Creator: Relative File Path for Outputs?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
846 Views, 4 Replies

Report Creator: Relative File Path for Outputs?

Hi there, 

Does anyone know if there is a way to specify an output file location using a relative path to the project's location? I know you can have the output reports stored inside the project, but I'd like to be able to send the output files to a different folder than the one that hosts the project. 

Report Creator Output Location.png

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jabowabo
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't know if there's a way to make it relative but that doesn't look necessary by your pic. You can set whatever absolute path you want (and use some variables as shown):

Capture.PNG

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jabowabo

Thanks for the response! And yeah, that's how I've had the file location set up  when I've previously used the Report Creator, but now I'm trying to optimize it's behavior so it's easy to set up for new projects. 

I wanted to have the files set up as they're shown in my initial post to better match our project file structure, but I've compromised and just created that "Excel Lists" folder within the project file. With it there, it's easy to set up a relative file path that works for every project: 

Relative File Reference Report Creator.png

This way, to configure the reports for new projects I just need to copy the Excel Data folder into the project (instead of changing the absolute file path for all 8 of our reports). Combined with relative file references in Excel, it gets pretty easy to get your project data. 

Have a good one!

Message 4 of 5
jabowabo
in reply to: Anonymous

Coincidentally, I had a need to use relative paths on a weekly report automation routine I'm working on. I tried a relative path and it actually worked! It even creates the directory if it doesn't exists. Here's the setting I used to put the report one folder up from the project folder and into a new folder named 'Weekly Reports':

[PP]\..\Weekly Reports\MTO_[PN] ([D:YYYY-MM-DD] [T:HH.MM])
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jabowabo

Oh wow! That works like a charm, and that's pretty clean that it even creates the folder for you if it isn't available. 

[PP]\..\..\Weekly Reports\MTO_[PN] ([D:YYYY-MM-DD] [T:HH.MM])

It also works to go more than one file level up if you duplicate the period section like so - I'd imagine you could get the report to output to anywhere you needed with your method. Very nice!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report