AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Shoe Pipe Diameter Wrong on Insert

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
darrelldixon
574 Views, 5 Replies

Pipe Shoe Pipe Diameter Wrong on Insert

One of my users has noticed a problem when using the Pipe Slide/Anchor support. He set the bottom of pipe 4" above the support steel and made the shoe height (SH) 4". When he attached it to his pipe, the bottom was extending into the steel.

I checked the pipe support catalog and the Diameter (D) is set correctly for 8" pipe as 8.625".  However, once it is attached, that dimension is changed in the properties to 8-3/4", and puts the bottom of the shoe too low. There is similar behavior for other size pipes with more added to the diameter as the pipe size increases.

Is there a setting that would prevent this? Currently, he has to go back and change the diameter for each pipe shoe he inserts.

He is using P3D 2016 with all service packs, updates and extensions. This also occurs in 2017.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
h_eger
in reply to: darrelldixon

Hi @darrelldixon,

yes, we know this problem, but it only occurs in projects with imperial units of measure.
One solution was not yet available from Autodesk.
This case has not yet occurred in metric projects.

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
Anlagenplanung + Elektotechnik
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
darrelldixon
in reply to: h_eger

Thank you. If it works on metric projects it makes me think that there must be a problem with the conversion of the decimal units in the catalog properties to imperial fractions and rounding to a 16th or 8th.

Message 4 of 6
ryan.bales
in reply to: darrelldixon

I tested in 2016 or 2017 with pipe sizes from 2"-14" in new projects with imperial units and have no issues in either version.

Regarding the units, IIRC AutoCAD is always reading the decimal units of the catalog, only when you change it to 'Architectural' will it display as fractions. You can change the units in the .dwg to decimal and check to see if its round-off or if it is still the right level. 

Ryan Bales
Fusion 360 Product Support
Message 5 of 6
DerrickHauser
in reply to: ryan.bales

We use the mixed metric setting for our P3D projects and our drawings are set to decimal and this continues to happen. We use Plant 3D 2016 all the SP and HF have been applied. So our designers don't have models that are set to fractions as units?

I looked at several sizes and the difference always gives me the same % of error .01465.. at 6" pipe this is approx. 2.5mm but at 48 pipe it is approx. 19mm or 3.4" 😞

I also found a project that has a correct shoe and an incorrect shoe placed on the same line?????? The only difference I can see is under the "PORT PROPERTIES" of the incorrect shoe the "Engagement Length1" property is blank and on the good shoe it is 0.

I am not sure how this happened

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 6 of 6
ryan.bales
in reply to: DerrickHauser

This really belongs in new thread and some pictures added. From what i remember this thread was more of a AutoCAD Units error rather than an actual insertion scale/size issue. 

Ryan Bales
Fusion 360 Product Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost