AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parsing PCF/IDF files to Plant 3D API entities

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1318 Views, 6 Replies

Parsing PCF/IDF files to Plant 3D API entities

Hello everybody.

Is it possible to load PCF/IDF file with help of Plant3D SDK and parse it into API objects/entities? Or convert it to format that is readable by .NET API (ObjectARX or Plant3D SDK)? 

Unfortunately, I can't find exact answer on my question in existed posts.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
h_eger
in reply to: Anonymous

Dear @Anonymous,

i know the PCF interface was not released for the Plant 3D SDK.
Therefore, there will be no way to read and convert the PCF file into the .NET API or Object ARX.

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
Anlagenplanung + Elektotechnik
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: h_eger

Thanks for your answer.

Do you know, are there any workarounds? I've find the following information on forums: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/discussion/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D-F...

Does it mean that we have an ability to open PCF file in Plant3D but can't access it programmaticaly via some SDK?

Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 7
jabowabo
in reply to: Anonymous

Is it possible to load PCF/IDF file with help of Plant3D SDK

A PCF file is simply a text file and can be read as such.

and parse it into API objects/entities?

Not directly. However, the PnPID (database Row ID) number can be added to the iso.atr file of the iso style. You can parse this to access the item in the database. 

BOM-ATTRIBUTES
EngineeringItems.PnPID
Message 5 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: jabowabo

@jabowabo wrote:

Is it possible to load PCF/IDF file with help of Plant3D SDK

A PCF file is simply a text file and can be read as such.

and parse it into API objects/entities?

Not directly. However, the PnPID (database Row ID) number can be added to the iso.atr file of the iso style. You can parse this to access the item in the database. 

BOM-ATTRIBUTES
EngineeringItems.PnPID

Yup.  I've built an interface for PCF files, it's a bit of work but doable; get a hold of the PCF file specification document if you can.

Haven't played with the Plant3D SDK but if it can create components then the desired process should be doable.  You're unlikely to find a fully-featured, already-built project of this level freely shared.  You'll need to either hire a developer, purchase a pre-made system, or do it yourself (which would be my recommendation - excellent learning opportunity).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 7
dave.wolfe
in reply to: dgorsman

You have to write your own parser. I've started one, but it's a lot of work.  The parser has to be based on skeys and types, and also account for different programs using different point for components, which gets difficult.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 7 of 7
cody_austin
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Hi @dave.wolfe , have you made any progress on this? I have a customer who is bidding on construction, with nothing but .IDF files to bid from. They are looking for an automated solution to get the quantities out of the files, otherwise they have an "army" of people to do it manually. Any help is appreciated!

Cody Austin
Technical Solutions Executive

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report