AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orthographic View Not Showing Intersecting Edges

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
nboone34
680 Views, 8 Replies

Orthographic View Not Showing Intersecting Edges

My pipe penetration into this concrete wall is not showing as desired on my orthographic view.  I've messed with the visual styles and the shade plot settings.  I've also changed my DISPSILH and OBSCUREDLTYPE with no success.  I'm running out of ideas on how to fix this.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
h_eger
in reply to: nboone34

Did you also design the wall penetration?
If not, you will not get any penetration curves.

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
Anlagenplanung + Elektotechnik
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
nboone34
in reply to: h_eger

It is an xref. I didn't add holes to the structure.  So it won't show the interfering edge between the piping and the wall? 

Message 4 of 9

@nboone34please add your xref dawing bu 3d model selection during ortographic generation.Capture.JPG

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).
Message 5 of 9
Shambler

Hi @nboone34 

you need to intersect the walls by cutting with simple cylinders because the surface of the walls are just surfaces between the lines of the primitive. 

In the Ortho Screenshot below: one wall with Intersection, the other wall without 

wall_intersect.png

--------------------------------------
...you don't have to say please
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the idea.  That is the current workflow I'm following with my drawings.

Message 7 of 9
nboone34
in reply to: Shambler

I was hoping to avoid spending time subtracting cylinder holes for each pipe penetration.  Interesting how it knows to show the intersecting edges of your walls but not between the pipe and the wall.....?

Message 8 of 9
Shambler

The answer is easy.

Script based content, like pipes, would deployed as surface - not as volume model. 

So you cant intersect a wall (3D volume) with a pipe (script, surface). 

Its important to get piping parts as surface to keep the drawing size low.

I know a lot of cases where users build most parts of their piping material with 3d volumes in the catalog editor and let the sizes of their drawings grow. 

BUT: There is a way how you could produce a improved visual experience with intersections: 

1. export your drawings with "EXPORTTOAUTOCAD" into a simple Autocad File

- your piping material will change to 3d volume models after this step 

2. copy all pipes who intersect walls at the same place

3. intersect the wall via substraction

4. create a ortho block via "FLATSHOT" 

Otherwise: stay in your intelligent model and substract the intersections maually

Its a way .. but not the PLANT3D Way to create "intelligent" Arrangement.  

--------------------------------------
...you don't have to say please
Message 9 of 9
nboone34
in reply to: Shambler

Thanks for the explanation and background on the different types of 3D objects. These are definitely options to think about....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost