AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ortho view generation issues - long to generate or crashes

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2005 Views, 8 Replies

Ortho view generation issues - long to generate or crashes

Currently modeling a large plant. All equipments, structure and other components were mostly inserted as sat files inserted into P3D dwg files. Plant 3D was used to perform the plant layout, clash detection and pipe routing and the other main objective was to generate ortho and Iso drawings. When using Xref, the Xref are linked as overlay.

Isos are OK. But I am having great difficulties creating the ortho views. Mostly the GA's views where big areas in the plant are shown. Sometimes, we wait 1 to 2 hours to get the view loaded and that is when the process does not crash.

We've tried identifying the problem file(s) without success. We are also trying generating the view on a local set-up ( thinking network issues). Now we are looking into removing the Xref in the plant 3d dog files.

We are using plant 3D 2013 with all SP installed. Hardware: 32gb of ram, ssd drives, etc.

Anybody has any idea on how to get Isis out more quickly? Any help will be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

I know this post is nealry a year old but have you found a solution to the speed issues with creating orthos yet?

We are having the same issues on a project, dealing with 3 models max (approx 13mb for the largest model and an average file size of 5mb) to create ortho views. Were on a SQL server simply due to multiple offices accessing the project.

On some of the larger scaled drawings, were taking almost 40-60mins for generation. it would be interesting to know if you have found a solution since then.

R

-Plant 3D 2014 EXTN 2 Installed

-16Gb Ram

-2.7GHz i7 quad core

-160 SSD HDD

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Having Similar issues, Even went so far as to upgrade hardware but still getting ortho generation taking forever. Whole spec is high end now with RTX4000 graphics card masses of memory and a good processor. 

this must be a software issue - are there no Autodesk guys with advice on this. time is money and we're all having coffee while orthos are generating or not generating (currently waiting 1hr 45mins on current ortho (edit and update of existing). 

Message 4 of 9
bussWFVXX

We are having similar issues.

Xeon-Workstations with NVidia professional graphics cards.
Ortho generating affords 5 mins up to 30mins per Viewport.

6 Viewports per Layout, 70 Layouts per Project, ….

!!! C A L C U L A T E !!! 

Message 5 of 9

How complex are the models? I've worked with my own clients who have imported super-detailed parts into Plant3D, and the Ortho's take forever. Even if the part is completely hidden by a shroud (so in theory it wouldn't be "drawn") but it still takes forever. When the part was removed, the Ortho was infinitely quicker.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: bussWFVXX

currently waiting up for orthos each view port at 2 hrs + (though the file is 201MB)

Message 7 of 9
Tomislav.Golubovic

A 200mb file is going to kill anything. You need to simplify it, or something to get the size/detail down to basics.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: bussWFVXX

Things to do to improve situation:

1. Change or update the video card driver.
2. Hardware acceleration turn on, turn off, which ever you dont have set
currently.
3. Save all P3D models used in ortho creation with 2d wireframe prior to
ortho creation.
4. Look for a tips/tricks on display issues relating to memory... I'd send
link but out atm.
5. Try a different dwt file as your ortho template in setup.

Are you referencing any non-project models to generate the orthos? Is so,
copy them to the project, related files folder works just fine...

Is this a sqlite based or sql sever based project?

Isolines, etc.. settings can be modified per display setting to reduce
time involved generating the views.

Let me know about the DB type, and project dwgs vs non... I'll respond more
later once back at home office.
Message 9 of 9
gostia

Hi all,

so how about this issues? have someone already solved this problem?

or any other trick to solved this issues?

thank you very much!!

Best regards,

Ricky G

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta