AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orbit uses WCS when in custom UCS

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Garrett.Brothers
619 Views, 4 Replies

Orbit uses WCS when in custom UCS

When using a custom UCS, fixed orbit still uses the WCS.  The fixed orbit command prevents the WCS's Z axis from twisting to either side.  This isn't an issue when the UCS and the WCS have parallel Z axes, but in a more unusual setup navigating the model becomes difficult.  This is an example where 3DORBIT ignores the new UCS in favor of the WCS.

I'm a beginner at Plant 3D.  It's quite possible 3DORBIT uses the WCS because that's what we want 99% of the time, even in a custom UCS.  However, if I needed to work in an angled space, constantly fighting with 3DORBIT might dissuade me from using a custom UCS in the first place.

Can anyone speak to this?

Labels (1)
  • ucs
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Try setting the Autocad variable ORBITAUTOTARGET to 0

George

If my post offers a solution, please click "Accept as Solution"
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the suggestion!  Unfortunately, that didn't work.  OrbitAutoTarget determines whether orbit uses the center of the screen [set to 1] or the object you were hovering over [set to 0] as the orbit center.  It's a useful setting, but I'm looking for something that changes fixed orbit so that it uses the UCS instead of the WCS.

When you initiate fixed orbit, if the WCS's Z-axis is not currently straight up and down on the screen, it snaps the model around so that it is (the attached screencast demonstrates this).  The solution I hope to find makes fixed orbit use the UCS's Z-axis instead.

Edit: screencast link 

Message 4 of 5
h_eger
in reply to: Garrett.Brothers

this function is only fully integrated from Plant 3D 2021 🙄

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
Anlagenplanung + Elektotechnik
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Garrett.Brothers
in reply to: h_eger

Thank you.  While it's sad that it's in Plant 2021, knowing that this particular setting will exist means I can stop searching for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta