AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Isometrics: Disable weld symbols at Groove / Coupling Connections

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
_Jeff_Roy_
621 Views, 21 Replies

Isometrics: Disable weld symbols at Groove / Coupling Connections

Per the subject, our coupling connections in models place two connection points that are identified as 'Accessory' in the dropdown at the top of the Properties window and 'Universal' in both the Short and Long Description fields. These  points represent the coupling to groove connections on either side but are being incorrectly represented on isometrics as welds. Trying to determine the setting to disable / suppress weld symbols being placed on either side of grooved connections. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

_Jeff_Roy__0-1710797252214.png

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
DVaquand
in reply to: _Jeff_Roy_

Hello

For these connection accessories Set the STATUS property as "Existing"
They should not appear in isometric output

== French ==

Pour ces accessoires de connexion dƩfinissez la propriƩtƩ ETAT comme "Existant"
Ils ne devraient pas apparaƮtre en sortie isomƩtrique

Cordialement
Dominique VAQUAND
www.dovaq.fr

Cette publication vous a-t-elle Ć©tĆ© utile ? Nā€™hĆ©sitez pas Ć  attribuer la mention Jā€™aime Ć  cette publication.
Avez-vous obtenu la rƩponse Ơ votre question ? Cliquez ensuite sur le bouton ACCEPTER LA SOLUTION.

EESignature

Message 3 of 22
_Jeff_Roy_
in reply to: DVaquand

@DVaquand Thanks very much for the reply and suggestion. Alternatively, is there a way to configure Project Setup or one of the project .xml files so that these connections are inherently/automatically not shown as welds on isometrics rather than having to manually modify them in the model? There are no welds at these locations so they should not be shown as such. I'm thinking there must be a way to tell the program not to place weld symbols to represent these types of connections. Thanks again!

Message 4 of 22
DVaquand
in reply to: _Jeff_Roy_

Hello

If not all welds must be visible in iso output, a simple solution would be to declare the weld layer inactive in the iso style "Iso.dwt" template file.

== French ==

Si toutes les soudures ne doivent pas ĆŖtre visibles en sortie iso, une solution simple consisterait Ć  dĆ©clarer le calque des soudures inactif dans le fichier gabarit "Iso.dwt" du style iso.

Cordialement
Dominique VAQUAND
www.dovaq.fr

Cette publication vous a-t-elle Ć©tĆ© utile ? Nā€™hĆ©sitez pas Ć  attribuer la mention Jā€™aime Ć  cette publication.
Avez-vous obtenu la rƩponse Ơ votre question ? Cliquez ensuite sur le bouton ACCEPTER LA SOLUTION.

EESignature

Message 5 of 22
_Jeff_Roy_
in reply to: DVaquand

Thanks for the follow up. However, we want legitimate welds to appear on the isometrics so deactivating welds or setting their layer as non-print isn't really an option. 

Message 6 of 22

@_Jeff_Roy_ 

You need to check/configure your "Piping Connection Settings" inside the Project Setup and, check the end type codes you have programmed in for your pipe spec that is using the clamps and check your SKEY assignment for the clamps. 

You 100% can have clamped piping systems show up without welds without needing to set connections to existing or hiding weld layers etc.

Message 7 of 22

@daniel.klingspor Thanks for the reply. I had already looked at my connection settings and didn't see anything that would suggest a weld being placed at our grooved / clamped connection points. The highlighted items below are what I assume are the relevant settings for our grooved / clamped connections.

_Jeff_Roy__0-1710938797909.png

I also looked at the block that we use for our couplings (VictEnd) and it does not include any weld symbols, just the coupling graphic. The SKEY that we have assigned to this part in the catalog (CLVT) points to this block in the IsoSkeyAcadBlockMap.xml file. 

_Jeff_Roy__1-1710939634213.png

If you don't mind expanding on what / where I need to be looking to determine whether the system thinks a weld should be used at these connections it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Message 8 of 22

Check in the spec editor the end type code for the pipe and clamp you are using.  I'm thinking its adding the weld because the pipe end code is not GRV.

Message 9 of 22

@daniel.klingspor That's a good suggestion but I have already verified that the end type for the pipe at both ends is GRV. Anything else that could be causing this?

Message 10 of 22

As proof of concept, I made an OOTB project, with a new test spec using OOTB ASME Pipe and Fittings Catalog.

I ran an iso using the OOTB configuration and it generated with a clamp at the elbow, no weld.

danielklingspor_0-1710950576562.png

danielklingspor_1-1710950621426.png

Both pipe and elbow have GRV ends.

Something is off in your setup here and it will be difficult for me to solve exactly what it is from behind a screen.  My suggestion is to carefully go through how you have your connection settings done, your pipe spec, iso config, etc. and do a process of elimination, one variable at time. 

Message 11 of 22

@daniel.klingspor Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to test that. Can you tell me the end type that is specified for the clamp in your model? Additionally, what how is the connection itself ID'd in your test model?

Thanks again

Message 12 of 22

I hadn't made a Victaulic spec for a long time (and don't use one currently) so I kinda forgot some of the details.

It seems that if you use the "Coupling" part class, it will add the weld and that this is hard coded into P3D because I didn't readily find anything in the XML files or elsewhere to modify this behavior.

You have to use the "Clamp" part class to get rid of the "connector" that adds a weld.

Your problem is stemming from the use of the custom 3D model of the "clamp" as a coupling. You can use custom 3D clamps for your modeling, but it requires a bit more steps than just adding them to catalog because P3D does not allow you to use custom graphics for clamps without using the catalog builder.

Make a test project based on your current project, remove your "coupling clamps" and add in the OOTB clamps through the spec editor.  Test one size and see what happens.

Message 13 of 22

@daniel.klingspor Thank you very much for the differentiation. Just did a quick test with OOTB clamp and the iso generated without welds. My follow up question would now be, if I add the OOTB clamp to my spec, is there a way to mass convert all of the existing couplings in a given model to the new OOTB clamp rather than having to replace them one by one? This would be a huge time saver and resolve our isometric issue.

Thanks again!

Message 14 of 22

You're welcome Jeff.

Unfortunately I cannot think of an easy button to quickly replace the coupling for the clamp. 

However, you might be able to do as user @DVaquand suggested and set the weld layers to no-plot.  Create a new iso template specifically for your clamped lines, that has weld layers set to no-plot.  The issue with this if you have a mixture of clamp and weld on the same pipeline.  So alternatively you could also set the connectors themselves to "Existing" and set the Existing layer in the iso template to no-plot still creating a new iso template specifically for your clamp pipelines. 

Other than that you can manually delete the welds from the isos or go through and replace all the couplings for clamps.

Kind of a pick your poison situation I'm afraid.

Message 15 of 22

@daniel.klingspor Thanks for the follow up. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to mass select all of the connectors associated with our Victaulic couplings so that we can set their status to 'Existing' as you suggested. 

Holding down CTRL and selecting the connectors at these connection points provides the following attributes:

_Jeff_Roy__0-1711032181569.png

I was hoping we could use QSELECT (or some other command) to mass select all of these connections in a given model and set the status to Existing rather than having to manually do this for every coupling. However, I haven't been able to figure out the correct combination of dropdowns/definitions that will successfully select these connectors. I'm not seeing 'Accessory' as an available selection anywhere. Setting the dropdown to 'Connectors' and selecting 'Class' under the properties with 'Universal' in the text field doesn't work.

Any insight on what QSELECT definition or alternative command will allow us to select all of these connectors at once in a given model? 

Message 16 of 22

Try to select the connector without holding down CTRL and look at the "JointType".

Can you exclude other connectors based on that value? (Buttweld connections for example)

Definitely run a test iso here on one line before committing to mass changes.

Message 17 of 22

@daniel.klingspor Thanks, I actually tried that after posting and it worked using 'Placeholder' as the definition. This selects all of the wanted connections. However, after setting the status to existing, it still places the weld symbol on the isometric but instead of being red in the model space tab of the isometric, it shows as white. I assume the color (white vs red) is to differentiate between existing and new. Is there a setting somewhere to exclude existing components from being generated on the iso altogether?

Update: Just tested and the above assumption is correct. I changed a couple of the connectors on my test line back to 'New' and they were generated as red welds on the iso. The connectors set to 'Existing' generated as white. Just need a way to disable 'Existing' from generating at all.

Message 18 of 22

Im not sure if there is a way to blanket exlude existing pipe from generating on the isometric.

I think the quickest solution here is to duplicate your iso configuration, use this duplicate only for your clamped lines where you have this problem, and in this iso config go into the template file and set layer Existing to no-plot.

The weld dot will still show on the .DWG but not when plotting.

Message 19 of 22

I ended up going into the Existing piping theme in Project Setup and setting the symbol scale to a low decimal value. So the symbols are still being generated but they're small enough that they don't show up on the printed drawing.

Message 20 of 22

Nice workaround šŸ‘

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost