AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Part Dimensioning in Isometric

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
OptimusCAD
1255 Views, 7 Replies

Custom Part Dimensioning in Isometric

Yet another newb question. Earlier, I successfully made a custom weldoflange part with Dave Wolfe and matparodi's help. Now I'm trying to get it to display in my isos. 

I've followed this guide (also by Wolfe) and I have the symbol displaying properly in my iso. Unfortunately, the dimensioning system seems to be ignoring it. I've set the part type as 'olet' and olets are enabled in my theme. Other olets are dimensioned in my test iso. 

weldo.PNG

weldoprop.PNG

I've also attached the .pcf file (changed to .txt). Not sure what else I can select so the weldoflange is dimensioned. 

Appreciate any suggestions.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jabowabo
in reply to: OptimusCAD

My guess:

Your olet/flange parts are applying the 'String' dimension type which has the olet dimension turned on.  The custom part is the only part on that branch and has an open end so it is applying the 'Overall' dimension type which has the olet dimension turned on. Modify the isoconfig.xml to fix.

Message 3 of 8
dave.wolfe

Can you post the block you're using?
Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 4 of 8
dave.wolfe

For the skey
Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 5 of 8
OptimusCAD
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Block attached. 

I also tried the default 'check' iso style which shows the end to end dimensions for the other weldolets+flanges - that's actually more in line with what I'm after in general, but it still isn't showing any dimension for the new part. 

weldo.PNG

Thanks again for your help.

Message 6 of 8
OptimusCAD
in reply to: jabowabo

@jabowabo wrote:

My guess:

Your olet/flange parts are applying the 'String' dimension type which has the olet dimension turned on.  The custom part is the only part on that branch and has an open end so it is applying the 'Overall' dimension type which has the olet dimension turned on. Modify the isoconfig.xml to fix.

You may be onto something here, actually. I've been trying to create an instrument symbol and when I put that symbol on the weldoflange I'd made, it actually dimensioned the flange. However, when I turn on end-to-end for olets, there's no change. Not sure what I'd need to edit in isoconfig to get this working.

DIMENSIONEDWELDOFLANGE.PNG

Message 7 of 8
jabowabo

My reply above should read:

"Your olet/flange parts are applying the 'String' dimension type which has the olet dimension turned on.  The custom part is the only part on that branch and has an open end so it is applying the 'Overall' dimension type which has the olet dimension turned OFF. Modify the isoconfig.xml to fix."

Capture.PNG

Message 8 of 8
OptimusCAD
in reply to: jabowabo

Thanks for your response. I turned on olets in the 'overall' dimension type in isoconfig.xml, but the change hasn't fixed the problem.

I'm hoping that the repair orders we're doing won't require any weldoflanges with open ends, otherwise we'll just have to fudge it and put the dimension in manually...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report