AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalogue Builder - Custom DWG Block Based Components

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
389 Views, 3 Replies

Catalogue Builder - Custom DWG Block Based Components

I am having issues with defining custom dwg block based components in a new custom P3D catalogue.

I have the blocks defined in a separate drawing file to the project and have defined connection ports using the PLANTPARTCONVERT command. Dimensions and other detail has been defined in an excel file then and that excel file used to build the catalogue. When I add the new part to a spec and go to use in a P3D drawing I get an error on the command line "Can't find symbol for specified part".

Digging a little further and opening the new catalogue in Spec Editor I see that the block definition for the custom part is not referring to the block I had originally specified. It seems to be referring to another DWG that was created by the program somewhere in the process of building the new catalogue? I can change the block definition to the block I want in Spec Editor but the catalogue then won't seem to save and maintain the changes I make?

I am somewhat at a loss on this one and am having trouble finding and fixing the problem. 

Anyone any ideas?

P3D 2020

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The behavior described is typically an indication of not keeping the
original dwg the custom part was created within contained/together with the
image file(s) created and associated with the component. It becomes a file
management issue after the creation of said part and adding it to catalogs
and spec thereafter. Necessary to keep the associated creation files
maintained.

Hope this helps.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the advice has not clarified much for me. I have maintained created files and have not moved or renamed any files once created. I am not sure what you mean by maintaining the file structure? It is not clear how this should be managed? 

I have been trying different combinations of things and attempting to have a custom block work successfully in a spec but everything I am trying is not working. A similar issue was encountered by an Autodesk Tech Support presenter during a recent webinar on the topic of adding custom blocks to a catalogue and using in a spec and there has been no clear solution provided. 

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
MKK20

The blocks saves in your C drive C:\AutoCAD Plant 3D 2018 Content in cataloguesupportfolders this should not be deleted or you cant get this if you are using different PC in which you havnt created your blocks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report