AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolt Sets wafer no gaskets (as PTFE lined)

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2347 Views, 13 Replies

Bolt Sets wafer no gaskets (as PTFE lined)

I AM STUCK ...... HELP...... after creating an 'endcode' WFNG to set my connection of bolts with no Gaskets ...... it worked but with 2 bolt sets and no gaskets .... my settings are - Butterfly to WFNG each side and allowing FL to match with  WFNG it was setting the lug bolts within the creation of WFNG that stumbled me, please see attachment below :0)

TWO BOLT SETS.JPGlug bolt settings.jpg

THANK YOU

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
MOLGRAND
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

If you want to have through bolts (ie as you would on a wafer valve) instead of Lug bolts (ie bolts both sides of the flange) then you need to set your catalogue as WFNG as you have done with RF facing (& make sure your bolt set in the spec is RF) & make sure your WFNG connections are the same as the wafer connections but without the gaskets - do not set it for lug bolts (other wise you get the 2 bolt sets).

Regards

Gary

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: MOLGRAND

It didnt work I did as you said as per screen shots below the same valve that was set to LUG each end now set to WFNG

ERROR MESSAGE.JPGVALVE SETTING.JPGBOLT SETTINGS.JPGconnection settings.JPGThank You for your Help :0)

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

also tried the bolt end setting to 'FL'

same error message - I have update specs come ut and back in to plant 3D. :0(

Message 5 of 14
Attila.Vallyon

Hi Linda,

If you want wafer connection properly working you need to match 4 properties in all three components in the catalog. End type, Nominal diameter, Pressure class and Facing in flange (valve wafer and the counterflange), gasket and bolt set.

You can of course deselect some property matches in the project settings, but even if you do, the connection still will not work properly. Most probably you will not get bolt set inserted, or you get placeholders.

I already experienced dissiculties with wafer connections, that is how it solved.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Attila.Vallyon

These are my settings - ii is with out gasket only bolts - Thank you for trying to help my first time on this site

My Piping Connection Settings.JPG

Message 7 of 14
Attila.Vallyon

Did you create that Wafer no Gas connection? Because bolt set is not needed for wafer connection. The deault is this:

wafer.JPG

If you do not want gasket maybe you can just add thread or glue instead of gasket. That is not registered in the BOM later on.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 8 of 14
jabowabo

Can you confirm that you want, on a Flange-Valve-Flange connection, 1 bolt set and no gaskets?

If so, I don't think you can make this work just by changing the end types of the valve and connection rules. Omitting the gaskets is easy but getting just one bolt set is a problem if you change from a WF end type. This looks to be hard-coded to correspond with 1 bolt set so that when you change it to anything but WF you either get 2 or none depending on the settings. There may be another way to make this work though using the WF end type to force 1 bolt set but setting up a Flange Standard (with new no-gasket flanges) and a connection rule that omits the gaskets.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: jabowabo

Molgrand said that his bolts have worked, so if I follow his exact settings I might get somewhere, I will give that a try first. Thank you all for your input now everyones gone home and the server has sped up a bit i can experiment :0)

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

ps. Yes I can confirm thats wha I want Flange/Wafer valve/flange c/w 1 Bolt set NO Gaskets

Message 11 of 14
MOLGRAND

Hi,

The solution I have I have used for a number of clients for the last 4 years & it does work well. Also Lyn, your not being precise in your set ups & there are a couple of  things I can see which are wrong - I have already sent a screen shot of the end connections, but attach it again. On my set-up in the model I have to switch the valve end conditions to turn off the gaskets - see attached. This works very well, but its not a full & correct solution - I would have thought by now the Autodesk would have made it a std connection, as we all seem to be trying to invent the same wheel again.

The valve once the end connection has been reset will remain like that unless your moving it along an open pipe - I always added a cap or an elbow so I didn't have to reset it again.

Regards

Gary

Message 12 of 14
MOLGRAND
in reply to: Attila.Vallyon

Hi Attila - your solution:

"connection properly working you need to match 4 properties in all three components in the catalog. End type, Nominal diameter, Pressure class and Facing in flange (valve wafer and the counterflange), gasket and bolt set"

Could you send me a screen shot of your solution please so I can see what you did without having to create new components to match, along with an Iso extract please with weld Nos on it.

Thanks

Gary

Message 13 of 14
jabowabo

I believe this is the best answer to your problem. It requires a few changes to your DefaultConnectorsConfig.xml and after that, all you need to do is modify the Gasket Std on your valves only to be 'NO GASKETS'. This allows you to continue having standard wafer connections with gaskets and also wafer connections without gaskets in the same project. Also, the bolts come in as expected. I also added a similar lug connection in my DefaultConnectorsConfig.xml file.

My full DefaultConnectorsConfig.xml

Catalog valve setting:

SPEC ED.PNG

These are the relevant changes in the .xml file :

WaferFlanged (modified)

<Joint Name="WaferFlanged">
<IsImperialMetric>false</IsImperialMetric>
<OffsetTolerance>0</OffsetTolerance>
<SlopeTolerance>0.1</SlopeTolerance>
<FittingElements />
<JointElements>
<JointElement PartType="Gasket">
<Queries />
<PortOut>S2</PortOut>
<PortIn>S1</PortIn>
<Filter>NominalDiameter=E1.NominalDiameter AND Facing=E1.Facing AND PressureClass=E1.PressureClass</Filter>
</JointElement>
</JointElements>
<OptionalMatchCondition />
<MatchCondition>E1.NominalDiameter=E2.NominalDiameter AND E1.PressureClass=E2.PressureClass AND E1.Facing=E2.Facing AND E1.FlangeStd=E2.FlangeStd AND E1.GasketStd <> 'NO GASKETS' AND E2.GasketStd <> 'NO GASKETS'</MatchCondition>
<PartTypes2 />
<PartTypes1 />
<EndConditions2>
<EndCondition>WF</EndCondition>
</EndConditions2>
<EndConditions1>
<EndCondition>FL</EndCondition>
<EndCondition>LFL</EndCondition>
</EndConditions1>
<Description>Wafer flanged joint</Description>
</Joint>

WaferFlanged_NoGasket (new entry)

<Joint Name="WaferFlanged_NoGasket">
      <FittingElements />
      <JointElements>
      </JointElements>
      <MatchCondition>E1.NominalDiameter=E2.NominalDiameter AND E1.PressureClass=E2.PressureClass AND E1.Facing=E2.Facing AND E1.FlangeStd=E2.FlangeStd AND (E1.GasketStd='NO GASKETS' OR E2.GasketStd='NO GASKETS')</MatchCondition>
      <PartTypes2 />
      <PartTypes1 />
      <EndConditions2>
      </EndConditions2>
      <EndConditions1>
      </EndConditions1>
      <Description>Wafer flanged joint, no gasket</Description>
    </Joint>

Lug (modified)

<Joint Name="Lug">
      <FittingElements />
      <JointElements>
        <JointElement PartType="BoltSet">
          <Queries />
          <PortOut />
          <PortIn />
          <Filter>NominalDiameter=E1.NominalDiameter AND IsLugSet=1 AND Facing=E1.Facing AND PressureClass=E1.PressureClass</Filter>
        </JointElement>
        <JointElement PartType="Gasket">
          <Queries />
          <PortOut>S2</PortOut>
          <PortIn>S1</PortIn>
          <Filter>NominalDiameter=E1.NominalDiameter AND Facing=E1.Facing AND PressureClass=E1.PressureClass</Filter>
        </JointElement>
      </JointElements>
      <MatchCondition>E1.NominalDiameter=E2.NominalDiameter AND E1.PressureClass=E2.PressureClass AND E1.Facing=E2.Facing AND E1.GasketStd <> 'NO GASKETS' AND E2.GasketStd <> 'NO GASKETS'</MatchCondition>
      <PartTypes2 />
      <PartTypes1 />
      <EndConditions2>
        <EndCondition>LUG</EndCondition>
      </EndConditions2>
      <EndConditions1>
      </EndConditions1>
      <Description>Lug joint</Description>
    </Joint>

Lug_NoGask (new entry)

<Joint Name="Lug_NoGask">
      <FittingElements />
      <JointElements>
        <JointElement PartType="BoltSet">
          <Queries />
          <PortOut />
          <PortIn />
          <Filter>NominalDiameter=E1.NominalDiameter AND IsLugSet=1 AND Facing=E1.Facing AND PressureClass=E1.PressureClass</Filter>
        </JointElement>
      </JointElements>
      <MatchCondition>E1.NominalDiameter=E2.NominalDiameter AND E1.PressureClass=E2.PressureClass AND E1.Facing=E2.Facing AND E1.FlangeStd=E2.FlangeStd AND (E1.GasketStd='NO GASKETS' OR E2.GasketStd='NO GASKETS')</MatchCondition>
      <PartTypes2 />
      <PartTypes1 />
      <EndConditions2>
        <EndCondition>LUG</EndCondition>
      </EndConditions2>
      <EndConditions1>
      </EndConditions1>
      <Description>Lug joint, no gasket</Description>
    </Joint>

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Thank You Molgrand 

I realise the 'Snap shot you sent me 'highlighted' read as a solid yellow and you were pointing me in the right direction - towards the glue - thank you all very much 

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report