Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90-deg conduit bends in MEP 2010 Question

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
918 Views, 7 Replies

90-deg conduit bends in MEP 2010 Question

Out of curiosity, I measured (2) actual 2.5" 90-deg conduits back to back the end-to-end dimension is 40.25".  When I try this in MEP 2010 the end-to-end dimension is 27.5".  I overlaid an actual bend over the CAD version and the actual bend was about ~4-6" longer on either end.  Why the differance?  I'm I looking at this wrong? Or is CAD giving me a short 90-deg bend?  Is it possible to replicate a real world bend?  If I model this and dimension the bends and the length beween the bends it appears I will need a 12.5" piece of straight pipe, when in real world the 90-deg bends will only need a 4" pipe to couple the bends together. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
FXVIPilot
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you attach a dwg file with both elbows in it (with everything else purged to keep it lightweight)? I will try taking a look at it.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

William thank you for your response.  I've seen what you can do and I'm very please that you are willing to review this issue.

I've attached a drawing as requested with information on the missing "C" value.

Message 4 of 8
FXVIPilot

Hi Optimus,

Okay, so as soon as I opened your file, I got the following Drawing Status flyout notification...

I tried the REDEFINEFROMCATALOG command and it did updated the elbows in my file with 5.25" straight ends. Let me know if it's the right size or not after you give it a try. If so, be sure to turn on your notifications. Also, look up the command Redefining the Catalog Parts in a Drawing in the helps so you understand what's happening, and don't forget, you can also migrate catalogs (Migrating Part Catalogs) from one release/install to the next.

Hope this helps.

Wm 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks William.  I'm not able to view the posted PNG file.  Would you mind uploading a pdf of the image?

Message 6 of 8
FXVIPilot

Please find the screenshot aattached as a pdf, as requested.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks Willliam.

I tried the command REDEFINEFROMCATALOG and I got the following as a command line:

Redefine the parts of the type [Mvpart/Pipe] <Pipe>:

Did you have an option to change conduit using that command?  Also thank you for uploading the image again.  Based on the image I see it mentions nominal size parameter.  Are you using MEP 2010 or MEP 2011?  I'm using MEP 2010. 

If you wouldn't mind posting the steps you took to change/add the "C" value I would appreciate it.

Message 8 of 8
FXVIPilot

Ya - I'm using AME 2011. That could be why it fixes for me & not you (not sure which release they fixed the conduit bend tails). Are you able to install 2011? I cannot think of anything that doing that would mess up unless someone else your working with balks. You can still send them 2011 files in dwf or dwfx format. I recorded an avi that was too large to attach, so I recorded the steps for you in this screencast. You'll need to zoom up your bowser and then select full screen on the playback. But regardless of what happens, Happy New Year!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report