AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy to clipboard question in AutoCAD Mechanical: dimensions change when copy paste

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
RIPBillyMays
293 Views, 2 Replies

Copy to clipboard question in AutoCAD Mechanical: dimensions change when copy paste

When I copy a drawing and it's dimensions onto my clipboard, and paste it into another drawing, a lot of times all the dimensions will change and come out way too big or way too small. This is because our drawings have all different dimstyle values for the same dimension styles. The overall scale factors on the styles are often way off from each other.

Is there a way I can make it so that when I copy dimensions to my clipboard and paste them in another drawing, they retain all their own individual properties instead of morphing to the new drawing's dimstyle settings?

@RIPBillyMays 
Topic Title has been changed for better findability by @joaquim.moral Original Post:

Copy to clipboard question

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: RIPBillyMays

You answered your own question as to why.

AutoCAD rule #1: content and settings in the destination file will ALWAYS override identically named content and settings from outside files brought in.
So... content with different names come in as they appear in the source file.

The program has no back-door-ignore-this-requirement option. Never has, still does not, likely to never appear in the future unless they build-in auto-rename functionality.

Now you know how to proceed hopefuly.
Message 3 of 3

Hi @RIPBillyMays,
Thank you for posting in the AutoCAD Forum! I'm checking in to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion that @pendean provided help you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily. If not, let us know if you have any more questions so we can help you.

Best,
Joaquim

¿Te ha parecido útil este post? ¡Deja un like!
¿Tu pregunta ha sido solucionada? Selecciona 'Marcar como solución' y ayuda a las demás a encontrar fácilmente la información.

You found a post helpful? Then feel free to give likes to these posts!
Your question got successfully answered? Then just click on the 'Mark as solution'

Joaquim Moral
Community Manager
Spanish Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost