AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to create geotiff

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2171 Views, 9 Replies

Wanting to create geotiff

Just as the title suggests, I'm wanting to create a geotiff. Id rather create a geopdf but my understanding is that is not possible. This will be an ongoing need for me as I have a client requesting field maps in a useable format for Avenza. I have installed a trial version of 2020ac map3d and assumed it would be a simple task but that doesnt seem to be the case thus far. I have found Geodata Converter, an online product that seems like it will go from dwg to geopdf but seeing as I'm using autocad to create the maps I'd like to just stick with the 1 program.

Thanks for any help

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
parkr4st
in reply to: Anonymous

the .dwg has no image and has no geo coordinate system so what you ask for can't be done.   Is there an image to go with the map? or do you want to export the dwg as is? and what is the GCS?

dave 

Message 3 of 10
Pointdump

Len,
In addition to Dave P's questions, are you seeking to create a GeoPDF(Proprietary Format) or a Geospatial PDF?
I have not used Avenza. What file formats can it open? If it can open an AutoCAD DWF, you're there. Or a GeoTiff?

I'm reluctant to use "online converters", but there's one >>>Here<<<.

GeoPDF_1.png

Dave S

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

They are asking for a Geotiff or Geospatial PDF. I have included the ariels and the coord system is nad83 utm zone11. I attempted to use the online converter, including paying for the conversion to no avail. They were kind enough to refund my payment almost immediately.

Again thanks for any help

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I have assigned the coord system to the map. Didn't even know that was possible. CSRS.UTM-11N

Message 6 of 10
ChicagoLooper

Wow! You're in the boonies. Doesn't matter, I found it anyway.

First of all, your drawing doesn't have an 'assigned coordinate system' which is a must if you want to create or use anything geospatial. If you can't use, don't want to use or don't know how to use geospatial data, then it might be best, for the client's sake of course, to hand this off to the GIS department.

Use MAPCSASSIGN command. Search for and 'assign' UTM84-11N to the drawing. Next, turn on Bing Hybrid so you can see the drawing against an aerial image basemap. Turn on the ROAD layer and compare the road against the aerial imagery. It would be nice to compare buildings too, but you're in the boonies and they're no buildings around. There appears to be fracking. And lot of it.

Bing imagery, when used in Map 3D, is F-R-E-E. You git-wut-you-git and you can't control interference like cloud cover. Many users complain about cloud cover this and cloud cover that, resolution this and resolution that. It begs the question, 'Is a lousy f-r-e-e image better than no image at all?' Do complainers prefer no image at all so they'll be forced to pay for images using third party software? Or pay for a subscription using an add-on? Beggars can't be choosy and cheapskates shouldn't complain.

As an alternative to a cloudy Bing image, you can search for and download satellite imagery using Earth Explorer. You can view their website   >>HERE<< .

There are four tabs in their user interface: 1) Search, 2) Data Sets, 3) Additional Criteria and 4) Results. These instructions are for finding and downloading satellite images. 

<To download these images you must logon. This entails a free user account which can be established with a valid email address. Once you've set up your account, you'll get an email to set up a password. Be patient, it takes a few minutes to get that email.>  

In the search tab, establish your area of interest (AOI) by zooming to your site using the viewer. When the viewer is tight to your AOI, click Use Map button. Your AOI, as displayed in the viewer will highlight Red and remain Red so you won't forget where it is. See Image 1 below.

Image 1.Image 1.

In Data Sets tab, choose Sentinel. You may try other types of data but if you want imagery to use as a basemap, then trust me and don't waste your time, you'll invariably settle for Sentinel. See image 2 below.

Image 2.Image 2.

In Additional Criteria tab, choose 'Less than 10%' to weed out images with too much cloud cover. After cloud cover, click Results tab. See image 3 below..

Image 3.Image 3.

In the Results tab, you'll be presented with various results that satisfy your criteria: your AOI as defined by you, Sentinel imagery and less than 10% cloud cover. To preview the image, click the BROWSE button and the image will appear in the viewer. The browse button is a toggle so click it again to clear it from the viewer. To download, click the download button. See image 4 below.

Image 4.Image 4.

Download options will be given next. Establish a user account with a password (it takes a few minutes and you'll need to jump through hoops to set it up, but for free images, jump and be happy.) See image 5 below..

Image 5.Image 5.

Using Data Connect palette, the image is brought into M3D. See image 6 below. You may also use MAPIINSERT, that worked too, even though it's a little tricky. The MAPIINSERT is tricky because of the drawing units. The units in the drawing are in feet while the image has units of meters. (Why your dwg is using feet and not meters is a mystery. Only in the US do they still use the King's Foot while everyone else still uses meters or has switched back to meters. Your site is not in the US so why is it using feet?)

Image 6.Image 6.

Understand that these images are free to download. Do not complain about color, tile size or image resolution. Sites like this don't have Customer Service Departments, only pay-for-image sites do.

Well if you don't like Earthexplorer, at least you know what coordinate system you can use......c'est la vie.

Chicagolooper
Message 7 of 10
parkr4st
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

check and see if this works.  lined up to the online map so it may not be close enough.  providing coordinates for obvious on the photo items such as intersections and this can be moved closer to being aligned.  This is raster design work

dave

Message 8 of 10
Pointdump
in reply to: parkr4st

Dave P,
Your AirNorthSouth.tif looks pretty good. I modified Len's drawing by first changing the units to Meters with -DWGUNITS, and then using MAPCSASSIGN to assign the CSRS.UTM-11N Coordinate System. I used MAPEXPORT to create a Shapefile of some of the Linework. (Attached)
Len,
If you want to include AutoCAD Linework into your GeoTiff, you can use Raster Design. Best video I could find on the process is >>>Here<<<. (Video is in Spanish, but Simon is using an English version.)

Lambert19_1.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 9 of 10
ChicagoLooper

If you want to ‘convert’ your Acad line work into a format Avenza can read and you only want to use Acad to perform the conversion, then you’re better off converting, actually exporting not converting, to shapefile and not Geopdf. Whatever method you choose however, you’ll still have to assign a coordsys to your drawing. If you don’t assign a coordsys then your exported Acad line work will not accurately overlay in your client’s Avenza program. Using export to shapefile allows you to work exclusively in M3D. 

You are correct in your original post. Acad can read and consume geopdfs but it can’t produce a geopdf from a drawing. 

Note:  Map 3D can both create and read GIS entities and perform limited analyticals, but it’s more suited to drawing vectors (lines, polygons, & points) and creating good looking graphics. OTOH ArcGIS is more suited to analysis even though it’s capable of drawing vectors. If you need to convert to geopdf format then I’d recommend a more GIS-esy type of program, not Acad, and like the esteemed @Pointdump, I’d shy away from online converters. Look to Global Mapper and ESRI programs (they are not free). You may also try QGIS. If funds are not an issue, may also use an Add-on such as PlexEarth. 

Chicagolooper
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Thanks for everyones help and input. Have been using acad for over 15 years making simple 2d pdf maps with dxf and shp files. I guess I need to weigh my options going forward and consider learning a new program. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta