Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to enter Latitude Longitude marker

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
johnyPZ57P
128 Views, 6 Replies

Trying to enter Latitude Longitude marker

I have a Latitude/Longitude coordinate to locate some telephone poles on my drawing. My drawing is georeferenced, but the Geolocation Tab is missing. I have followed the directions I found online to locate it in CUI, but it is not shown. I need better directions to add the Georeference Tab or directions on inputting Latitude/Longitude coordinates.

AutoCAD Map 3D 2025

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: johnyPZ57P

Hi @johnyPZ57P 

I'm guessing you're drawing a site in the US so you're drawing objects using a State Plane Coordinate System (SPCS). 

Use MAPCSASSIGN command to assign the appropriate State and Zone. By assigning a CS, you're telling AutoCAD where your site is located. Imagine that modelspace is a 'flat' area representing a State Zone on planet Earth. Without proper representation your site may as well be on Jupiter or Mars. When you establish a coordinate system, the program will know where on Earth the equator and north pole are located, which in turn, determines Lat/Long. 

You'll see the Geolocation Tab AFTER assigning your SPCS.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
johnyPZ57P

Hello @ChicagoLooper,

We have assigned a coordinate system, specifically PA83-NF. The Geolocation tab isn't showing up even though the proper CS is assigned. Could it be a WorkSpace issue? Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Message 4 of 7
ChicagoLooper

Hi @johnyPZ57P 

Would you mind doing this simple experiment?

1. Open a clean, brand new imperial template.
  2. Assign PA83-NF. 
  3. Does the Geolocation Tab appear? If it does, insert your Geomarker using Lat/Long. Next, zoom extents.
  4. Go Geolocation tab=>Online Map Panel=>change Map Off to Map Hybrid. When the Bing logo appears in lower right corner, you're connected to the Bing Map server.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
johnyPZ57P

I did as you directed. 1.) opened a new AutoCAD template that was Imperial. 2.) Assign PA83-NF.

Where should the Geolocation Tab appear? I opened CUI, highlighted the workspace on the left column, under Workspace Contents selected Customize Workspace, and expanded the "Ribbon Tabs". Geolocation was not found.

I can load the Bing Hybrid map and see it. The logo was in the lower right corner.

Message 6 of 7
ChicagoLooper

I wouldn't tinker with with the CUI. The Geolocation Tab will automatically appear when you've assigned a CS. That is why you should always assign a CS--you get the benefit of the Geolocation Tab and all the built-in commands on it. Tinkering might accidentally prevent the Tab from appearing. 

Are you using the Planning and Analysis Tab or did you create a custom workspace? The Geo Tab should appear when using any of the out-of-the-box workspaces.

Shut down and reboot the program. Open clean, brand new imperial out-of-the-box Imperial Template, not your office template. This new dwg should have only one Layer named 0. Change workspace to Planning and Analysis or Civil3D. Assign PA83-NF.

Does Geo Tab appear after assigning your CS?

Can you share your Lat/Long coordinates you are using for your geomarker insertion?

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
johnyPZ57P
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Good morning,

We got it sorted this morning, user error. Thank you for your help! Appreciate it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report