AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing GIS map in background of paper space

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
5390 Views, 15 Replies

Showing GIS map in background of paper space

All,

I generally complete my drawings by tracing necessary street / building information in the model space utilizing bing then only showing my line work in completed drawings. I would like to show the aerial )bing view) in a somewhat opaque view under my line drawings. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks,

Slug

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

which version of Map3D do you have?

In case you do have release 2015 (or newer) you can use command _GEOMAPIMAGE to select an area of your bing maps imaginary and "fix it" to your drawing. That can also be plotted.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I am currently using AutoCAD MAP 3D 2016.

I'm assuming I would use this command in Model Space then paste it to my drawing & then I can adjust the opaqueness so my drawing stands out in the foreground?

I need to maintain the existing scale of my drawing. I'm using vendor templates and utilize existing layout blocks by scale.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

I just tried it and it worked fine! I just need to adjust the opaqueness then.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

How can I do this?

Message 6 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> adjust the opaqueness

The chances you have is to select he captured object and look to the property window.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

Would it be "Transparency"  in the properties panel? as there are no drop-downs there...

I have attached a test drawing example.

Message 8 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

these are the controls you can modify for that type of object:

20160802_1629.png

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Alfred,

It looks like you did this in paper space but I can't even select the image to change the properties.

Can you dumb it down a little for me or is there a tutorial I can reference?

When I used the GEOIMAGE tool I'm not sure what level or space the image copies to as i can only select my line work and not the background image to change the properties.

Thanks for your help!

dce

Message 10 of 16
fieldguy

double check the value of system variable "imageframe".  It must be 1 or 2 for the image to be "selectable".

Message 11 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> It looks like you did this in paper space 

No, I did that in modelspace, not in the layout and not within the viewport of the layout.

If you change to modelspace you can select the image on it's border and so get it's properties displayed.

In worst case you can use command _QSELECT to get the object selected.

>> I'm not sure what level or space the image copies to

It's strored within the DWG-file, not like a referenced image. You might compare it with an OLE-object which is embedded into the drawing.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: fieldguy

I can't select image on either setting. Only my line work.

Not sure what level GEOIMAGE tool places image on but it seems to be un-selectable...

Spoiler

Message 13 of 16
parkr4st

dce

take note the photo is on the layer E-CONDUIT and is under the layer-vport in your dwg which does not allow picking the image with the mouse.  If you create a new layer i.e. PHOTO and set as current, and then being in the image, the image will be on that layer.  It allows you to use the layer settings to control the image, i.e layer on or off, frozen, etc. You can then use qselect to select the photo in model space regardless of it position in draw order.  you can also send the layer -vport in your attached dwg to the back and then you will be able to select the photo and adjust the settings.

You could also change the layer colors of the line work over the image so the lines show better. 

Dave

Message 14 of 16
Pointdump

DCE,

As Dave @parkr4st says, your photo is on the layer E-CONDUIT. Turn off the -VPORT layer and then you can easily select the photo.

Vport.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 15 of 16
parkr4st
in reply to: Pointdump

also I forgot to add, if the image is on a separate drawing layer you can adjust transparency in the layer manager

Dave P

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: parkr4st

Thank you all! 

I finally got it...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report