AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with tutorial :analyze data: file - connect data - DEM file - not added to a map

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tomas.kanuchX6NBY
303 Views, 6 Replies

Problem with tutorial :analyze data: file - connect data - DEM file - not added to a map

Hello everyone,

i have problem that i don`t know how to solve - i was searching answer in this forum, but didn`t find any.

I am trying to learn map3D (2022) basics so i am following tutorial, in this case "Analyzing data".

I did download all files from Autodesk.

In exercise 2 I should connect data: enterprise.DEM file. I did everything by the numbers (coord system, ..), but the surface was not added to the drawing. There is only the message: "There was a problem adding data to map". Log file shows nothing specific.

Could enyone help me resolve this issue and possibly explain what is the problem.

Drawing units: inches

Coord system:  ca-i as as in tutorial

Thanks in advance.

Tomas.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi @tomas.kanuchX6NBY 

==>>DO NOT CHANGE DRAWING UNITS!!!

Do this:

1. Use MAPCSASSIGN and give modelspace the coordinate system CA-I (California State Plane, NAD27, Zone I, Feet).

Image-1Image-1

2. Next, add the DEM as a raster (all DEMs are rasters). Click Add to Map. Be patient, wait for the DEM to appear in modelspace. <<Map3D will perform a transformation. The transformation is automatically performed by Map3D-its responsible for reading the native coordinate system of the DEM and inserting it accurately in your drawing which has been assigned California State Plane, NAD27, Zone I, feet. >>

Image-2Image-2

3. The DEM appears and is listed in the Map Task Pane.

Image-3Image-3

4. On the Ribbon, go to Geolocation Tab=>Online Map Panel=>Click the Map Off dropdown=>change to Map Hybrid.

Image-4Image-4

Bing aerial imagery turned on. 

Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 7

Hi Tomas,
"Drawing units: inches"
Map 3D doesn't play well with inches. Use Feet or Meters.
"Coord system: ca-i as as in tutorial"
I haven't seen this tutorial. I assigned to the drawing EPSG:6416 NAD83(2011)/California zone1 (ftUS). Your data is in EPSG:26710 NAD27/UTM zone10N (Meters). Map 3D picks up on this and knows just what to do.
Dave

DEM_1.png

DEM_2.png

DEM_3.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

thanks for your advice.

I followed these steps, but nothig was added to the drawing.

note: i am using templates for new drawings: map2d for imperial (inches) or map2diso (millimeters).

I assigned CS UTM27-10 same as in DEM file - with both templates and nothing was added.

Then i created templates with units `feet` and `meters`. Did the same and still nothing.

I have no idea whats the issue.

I am able to connect  SHP and SDF files  from tutorial with no problems.

Tomas

Message 5 of 7

Hello,

thanks for advice.

Tried these steps with no succes.

Drawings with feet, us servey feet, meters; CoordSystem as yours NAD83_CAL_ZONE1 (feet &meter).

Tomas

Message 6 of 7

Tomas,
OK, here's a blank drawing assigned EPSG:6416 NAD83(2011)/California zone1 (ftUS) coordinate system. Try it again.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 7 of 7

Hello,

I solved the issue this way: reset (repair/reinstall) for Map3D application

Now it works

Annotation 2024-05-13 090721.png

Thanks to ChicagoLooper and Pointdump for help.

Tomas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report