AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
AndrewMyers6735
195 Views, 3 Replies

ODBC

why does Autocad  not release the access database lock file when closing Autocad

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

To protect the attached file from 'unauthorized' changes by others. Unauthorized changes may adversely affect the work (such as a query) the original 'attacher' is performing.

Sorry, but it's the responsibility of the 'attacher' to release the lock, not the other user who wants to use the attached file.

Example:

A user with an attached file is working on a drawing. He leaves his desk, e.g., goes to to the conference room for a meeting OR has lunch across the street OR goes to the restroom. Prior to leaving, he saves his work. Eventually  his computer goes to sleep and the lock is released. Meanwhile, another user unknowingly and unintentionally, opens the attached file and makes changes to it. When the original user returns to his desk to reconnect, his work is messed up, seriously messed up.

Everyone, understands, it's not a perfect system. Something, though, must be in force to protect the original user's investment in his work. 

Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 4

I must not have been clear. I am saying that when I attach an access file to a drawing through an odbc connection a new lock file is created for the access database. The lock file is supposed to be deleted when the drawing is closed, but it is not. The lock file is because access is a multi user database. It is created everytime an access file is opened, but is released and deleted when the last user closes the database.

Message 4 of 4

Hi,

>> when I attach an access file to a drawing

There exist multiple ways to connect an Access-file to a DWG using Map 3D functions.

One is: you are using FDO (command _MAPCONNECT) .. I have tried not AutoCAD Map 3D 2022, used command _MAPCONNECT ==> ODBC ==> connect with a connection string ... and at the moment I close the dwg-file the lockfile from the Access-file is removed.

Another one: you are using _DBCONNECT with "Micosoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers". With this type of connection for me it's similar, either closing the connection or closing the drawing also removes the lock file.

So either you are using different AutoCAD Map 3D version (and/or different installed updates) or you are using a different workflow/different commands or it might depend on different file types or permissions for your OS or for your storage location.

I have tested these 2 workflows with Map 3D 2022 (AutoCAD 2022.1.1 and Map3D 2022.0.1), with MDB as filetype, Windows 11 as operating system, files all stored locally..

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report