AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating an ARG file from AutoCAD Map 3D 2014 is not working on Windows 10

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jleavitt
207 Views, 2 Replies

Migrating an ARG file from AutoCAD Map 3D 2014 is not working on Windows 10

I am attempting to migrate profiles (*.arg files) from AutoCAD Map 3D 2014 to AutoCAD Map 3D 2020.  The Knowledge Network article on the AutoDESK Migration Utility does not appear on my start menu as advertised in the article.  

I've been struggling with this for two weeks now and I'm thoroughly frustrated.  Please Help.

Thank you,

J Edward Leavitt, PLS

Land Surveyor, PLSS Dataset Manager

Department of the Interior, Region 8/10

U. S. Bureau of Land Management

Branch of Cadastral Survey

2800 Cottage Way W-1623

Sacramento, CA 95825-1886

jleavitt@blm.gov

916-978-4347

J Leavitt, PLS
Land Surveyor
Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: jleavitt

Sorry, but I'm a little rusty when it comes to arg. You are trying to move your profile from v2014 to v2020, correct?

I don't believe you can do that with arg. Although you can migrate form same-year to same-year, e.g. from old computer to new updated computer, you can't migrate from old version to new version using arg. 

You can read this Support Article (dated 5/2/2022) addressing your issue.

Note: the article mentions certain conditions that must be present for the workflow to succeed so the solution provided may not apply to your specific situation. Good luck.

101.JPG

Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 3
jleavitt
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Yes, that's about it. I won't bore you with the details of my experience with our SFB IT department here at the Department of the Interior, but I've been using, supporting and customizing AutoCAD since Release 1.9 in about 1984. I was the System Administrator (including CAD and software) for a small-medium Civil Engineering and Land Surveying firm in Las Vegas (at the time, the fastest growing area in the country for about 4 decades) where I learned AutoLISP, VBA, and other programs and authored a suite of programs called "CAD-CON PLAT ANNOTATION" and was accepted into the AutoDESK 3rd Party Developer Program.

Suffice it to say that I'm well qualified to speak in this subject and leave it with the fact that when I was hired by the Bureau of Land Management in 2010 (after the bottom falling out of the home building market in my area) it was SPECIFICALLY because of my expertise with AutoCAD.

Cut to the chase...our IT department has only a fleeting understanding of what AutoCAD is and how it works. Putting the basic program on a machine does not cut the mustard...we users require the customizations to bring the software to life. They have made no provision for migrating and marrying up the customizations...there's no valid reason to reinvent the wheel. I have found a migration tool on Autodesk's website named surveydatabasemigration.exe but I haven't executed it yet and can find no instructions for it's use...I hope it works on VLX files.
J Leavitt, PLS
Land Surveyor
Bureau of Land Management
California State Office

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta