AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Shape File into 2017 Map 3D

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
brian.kozak
2338 Views, 6 Replies

Importing Shape File into 2017 Map 3D

Good day,

Reaching out for something I've never done before.

I am trying to import a shape (shp) file into AutoCAD Map 3D.  The person in our company who usually works in Map 3D is away on holidays so I've been given the task.

I've attached the zip file for reference.  I can import the shp file fine with the insert tab, import, map import command.  In the box that pops up, I click the data column, select create object data radio button, and then select all of the fields and click okay.  Once imported, if I click an object in the drawing and check properties it shows up as a MPolygon.  In the properties box, under the 'OD' heading, there is a property value for the 'HRV' value.  HRV values for the file range from 1 to 5.  If I click on different area with a different HRV value, it shows up in the properties box.

When I import the file, everything comes in on a single layer and thus all one color. I would like to import the data based on the HRV values. That is, so they are on separate layers.  Is this something that can be done.  Not sure if it has to be done with a query, but I could not figure it out.

Thanks for the help.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: brian.kozak

Do you need CAD entities? Such as polylines?

You can drag+drop the .SHP file (make sure the folder contains the other associated files too) into the editor and it will come in as a MAP object (MAPBULKFEATURE). From there you can use the tools in AutoCAD Map to stylize and query the data.

dropshp.gif

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 7
brian.kozak
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't try drag and drop before.  Tried it now and the map did show up. Clicking on a map object gives the HRV value in the 'feature properties' of the properties box.  However, I tried to do a quick select but it is greyed out.  I don't need polylines, as long as I can separate out the five different HRV values.  Sorry, but I don't know how to perform queries.  A bit beyond me, even with reading online.

Message 4 of 7
rkmcswain

I think it's fairly simple.

First thing is, quit thinking like this is CAD. You have to use the MAP tools on these objects for the most part.

After you drag+drop, type in MAPWSPACE, turn it on.

On the Display Manager Tab, find the block of color, and click on it.

Then right click and choose Edit Style.

Add some rules, such as shown here.

I think this is what you're after. I'm no MAP expert, so if this is not it, post back.

HRV.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 7
brian.kozak
in reply to: rkmcswain

Well that worked absolutely slick.

Is there a way to separate the styles onto their own layers so that they can be turned on and off?  Or, is it locked to the imported shp file?

Edit:

I made a new layer in the layer properties manager, but it would not show up in the properties box drop down menu.

Message 6 of 7
Murph_Map

If you use mapimport you can create the layers based on the object data on import.

LayerImport.png

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 7
brian.kozak
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks, that also worked wonderful.

Appreciate all of the help. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report