AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import shape files with shared boundaries

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
867 Views, 9 Replies

import shape files with shared boundaries

I need to import a shape file with lots of polygons with shared boundaries and also islands etc.

Using mapimport I tried both import polygons as closed polylines ticked and unticked and I do get all the shape to display correctly in CAD.

My problem is that GIS has two overlapping  lines for polygons with shared boundaries, while in CAD we only have a single line representing the border between adjacent polygons. I need to create Topology with the imported polygons and this you cannot do if there are lines on top of each other. I tried to remove them with Drawing cleanup but no lines are removed. 

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the duplicate lines or to prevent them during import?

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
braudpat
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello

Not sure to well understand your problem / need !?

Please can you share with us your SHP, SHX, DBF, etc (ZIP/RAR please) ?
+ a beautiful Image of your DWG with more details ...

THE HEALTH, Regards, Patrice
Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

I have attached the DWG.

If you look at the linework almost everywhere there are 2 lines on top of each other.

I have also done an "explode" command and then "Drawing clean up" to remove the duplicate lines, but no objects were removed.

I want to create topologies, it will not work with the duplicate lines. see jpg or dwg attached.

I generally work in ArcGIS, (so I am not a CAD expert) and only use 3D map for digitizing polygons from geotiff images for seafloor classification. I then create topologies and export to shapefile. In this case I had to go back to CAD to do additional digitizing, but this does not seem so easy.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Hi 

I just solved my own problem:

I converted the polygon shapefiles to line shapefiles in ArcGIS before importing into Map 3D.

I can also create a centroid for each polygon in ArcGIS which will already have the correct attribut to assign the layer. 

Message 5 of 10
braudpat

Hello

OK so go on with ArcGIS ...

THE HEALTH, Regards, Patrice

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
АлексЮстасу

Try Drawing Cleanup for the original dwg with my settings - polygons.dpf. . (Could only attach with the extension zip).
There is only one error in the topology after it.

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 7 of 10
O_Eckmann

Hi,

To use MAPCLEAN to do the job, you have to add 3 actions

image.png

(Sorry for french interface, hope english order of action is the same as french) : 

1st : cut object at intersection (3rd position in list)

2nd : remove duplicate objects (1st position in list)

3rd : connect free node (7th position in list)

You have to execute MAPCLEAN twice with same options before you can create topology without errors.

Olivier

Olivier Eckmann

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

@O_Eckmann wrote:

Hi,

To use MAPCLEAN to do the job, you have to add 3 actions

image.png

(Sorry for french interface, hope english order of action is the same as french) : 

1st : cut object at intersection (3rd position in list)

2nd : remove duplicate objects (1st position in list)

3rd : connect free node (7th position in list)

You have to execute MAPCLEAN twice with same options before you can create topology without errors.

Olivier

Probably, "7th position in list", Décomposer les nœuds... - Snap Clustered Nodes? I have this 6th position.

If I do only these three actions, then after twice their launch, the topology creation shows me many errors. Mainly because of Dangling objects or gaps.

Message 9 of 10

Hi Alexander,

Here is my screencast to proceed from OP drawing with my settings in Mapclean and success of creation of polygonal's topology 

Olivier

Olivier Eckmann

EESignature

Message 10 of 10

Hi, Olivier,

Yes, you are absolutely right!
These three actions of yours are really enough!

My mistake was that I decided to use the tolerances not 0.

And this led to unnecessary actions.
As always, when I want to be "too smart"!  🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta