AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impervious coverage from aerial imagery or other sources

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mfisher566
387 Views, 4 Replies

Impervious coverage from aerial imagery or other sources

Hi all - fairly new to MAP as a GIS platform.     
What is the process to calculate impervious coverage from an aerial image?   
Second - What are some good data sources for impervious coverage specifically in South Central PA?    PASDA is really good for a lot of other types of data, but I haven't hit on a good source for Dauphin County - seems like its sort of a data "isanld".

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Pointdump
in reply to: mfisher566

Hi Mark,
I can't think of any way to query impervious surfaces in Map 3D or any other software. I've seen building outline data, but not outlines of roads and parking lots.
You might need to do this manually.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 5
mfisher566
in reply to: Pointdump

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the knowledge.
Message 4 of 5
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: mfisher566

@mfisher566 

You can't do it with AutoCAD.

The closest you can get is to use >>REMOTE SENSING<< utilized by full-on GIS users in programs such as ArcMap or Arc Pro (not Map3D, it doesn't have the capability).

101.PNG

Another description of remote sensing can be found >>HERE<<.

102.png

If you're really and truly interested in 'impervious surface' then you'll need LiDAR. Specifically, you'll need LiDAR that's classified. That way you can isolate Bare Earth from other point classes such as, but not limited to, buildings, roads and vegetation.  

As @Pointdump has already mentioned, doing it manually is yet another method to isolate impervious from pervious which is common when documenting an SWPPP for a commercial property and where water runoff needs to be  managed. 

Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 5
mfisher566
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Thanks for the info.   My customer asked me the question, and I wasn't sure.   I know about the classifications and LiDAR data, just wasn't sure if there was a way to do it in Map3D or Civil3D.    

Guess I'll let them know to keep doing it by hand.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta