AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Online Satellite Image as backdrop in AutoCAD Map 3D as Like ArcGIS Desktop

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
imshafeeq
830 Views, 3 Replies

How to get Online Satellite Image as backdrop in AutoCAD Map 3D as Like ArcGIS Desktop

I use both the Title Software. I feel at ease to use online Satellite Image as backdrop in ArcGIS Desktop but feel deprived when facility is not found in AutoCAD Map 3D Environment. Is there any solution to it?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: imshafeeq

Basemaps for Map3D are available. Options include:

1. Bing maps. Assign a projected coordindate system to modelspace first=>geolocation tab=>Online Map panel=>Bing Map button. (Bing Maps is already included with the Map3D software.)
  2. Download and install the free plug-in ArcGIS for AutoCAD from ESRI. You may watch a video by Don Kuehne and Randy Garcia about the plug-in >>HERE<< . 

Bing Maps: Map Aerial, Map Road, and Map Hybrid. 

E6041182-897A-42A0-94C3-74FE38369B7C.png

Th ribbon for ArcGIS for AutoCAD once the plugin is installed. The table of contents is the panel on the left. 

0D05EE7B-8A02-46A9-8BA5-A65DF801306A.png

Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 4
imshafeeq
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Thank you very much for guidance.

Image backdrop appeared at AutoCAD Map 3d 2020 Model Space.

But when i overlayed GIS data digitized from Google Earth, it showed a noteable shift beyond ignorable limits. Why it is so?

Another issue faced has been the quality of image. The image when zoomed in, to approx. 1:500 scale, it gets confusingly blur. 

Message 4 of 4
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: imshafeeq

@imshafeeq 

Please explain what when i overlayed GIS data digitized from Google Earth, it showed a noteable shift beyond ignorable limits means.   

Please describe your GIS data. Is it shapefile, geodatabase, raster, or something else. 

What  basemap in the background is off? Is Bing Hybrid off? Or some other basemap such as a map you connect to when using ArcGIS for AutoCAD, e.g. the Living Atlas?  

When you say GIS digitized from Google Earth, are you referring to a kmz/kml file? Are saying your kmz/kml file doesn’t align with your basemap background?

What coordinate system is assigned to modelspace?

Would it be possible to post screenshots of your dawing where the GIS data has shifted? Or you may upload your drawing for troubleshooting. 

Chicagolooper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta