AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature label disappears when zooming

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
kruelled
369 Views, 8 Replies

Feature label disappears when zooming

I have created a feature label with an expression.  At first everything was working good. Now when I zoom in to view the label it disappears. If I zoom out I can see the label is there, but I am so far out I cannot read the text. I have applied a background color, but even if I turn that off it doesn't help. The scale range is default 0-infinity.

I tried exporting a layer file and changing <CheckExclusionRegion> to false. That did not help.

Please help

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: kruelled

Hi @kruelled 

What's <CheckExclusionRegion>? Where do you see that? Would it be possible to upload an image?

Please describe in detail, your workflow for exporting a layer file because it sounds like you're procedure is exporting FROM mtext TO feature labels.

What you really want is the opposite, to export FROM feature labels TO mtext.

The more pictures (or video) you upload, the faster the solution will be.

Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 9
kruelled
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

The <CheckExclusionRegion> I found in another post. It did not solve my issue.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-map-3d-forum/labels-on-top-of-feature-not-displaying/td-p/781...

I am using the "Save Layer" command from the Map Task Pane when I right click on a layer. I was saving the layer so I could load the layer into other drawings.

See attached pdf for image of what I see. The red circles are for clarity and not part of the feature label style.

When I zoom out I can see the lines of the label defined in the feature label. When I zoom in to read the label, it disappears. I tried creating a new drawing and loading a saved layer. I get the same results, labels disappear when I zoom in.

I also tried turning off hardware acceleration. It did not help.

Not sure if this is a graphics issue or a map label issue.

Message 4 of 9
ChicagoLooper

Can you upload images of the Map Task Pane? And image(s) of the Expression window showing your expression?

Troubleshooting this may take a long time.....can you upload the data? Timewise, it's inefficient to solve without the actual data.

Also, you need to explain (or upload screenshots) of your method to turn the labels into mtext. Converting the features labels to plain vanilla mtext seems like the fastest and easiest solution. Your workflow to convert the feature labels isn't right and you need to correct it.

Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 9
kruelled

Thanks for heling. Before I upload a bunch of files I should explain what I am trying to do. We have a new project that was started in ArcGIS. They were having trouble creating the necessary drawings in ArcGIS. They asked my help in creating drawings for submittal purposes. I am experienced in Civil 3D and limited knowledge of Map 3D. My thought was to connect to the Geodatabase to load all the data and apply labels. Then "save layer" to load the layer (with all my settings) in each drawing. Now I'm wondering if that is the correct workflow.

Since my last post I did a quick test. I created a new drawing which will act as an individual sheet of the submittal set. I connected to the individual layer of the geodatabase (previously I loaded the entire geodatabase). I applied my feature style and label style. Everything worked great. Then I saved the labels as mtext so I could move the mtext as needed. I am starting to think this is a better workflow. Its a few more steps but seems more stable.

I realize that if the GIS attribute data changes I will have to reload the geodatabase layer and convert to mtext again.  Thats ok to maintain drawing stability.

If you have a better workflow please let me know. 

Thanks again for the help.

Message 6 of 9
kruelled

I found the problem to my disappearing labels.

In my point style I loaded our company symbol for a pole. Then I added a circle with fill to hide the line thru the pole. I am showing the fill as red, but in my drawing it is white for plotting. In the style definition, when the circle is below the pole symbol, the label displays normal.

kruelled_0-1700495070313.png

If I change the display order (up/down arrows) the circle (with fill) above the pole symbol, the label disappears.

kruelled_1-1700495118988.png

I have no idea why this is happening, but at least I know what is causing my labels to disappear.

Would still appreciate any tips on workflow.

Message 7 of 9
ChicagoLooper

Hi @kruelled 

Are you willing to run 2 experiments?

For the text height in your label:

Experiment 1:

Reduce the text height to 1/4 its original height. 

Experiment 2:

Reduce the text height to 1/10 its original height.

How do the labels perform given the new text height?

Chicagolooper
Message 8 of 9
parkr4st
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

try checking device in the styleeditor

Message 9 of 9
kruelled

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I am satisfied with leaving the point symbol display order as shown in my previous post.

Chicagolooper, I tried your experiments but it did not change anything. The text still disappears if the circle is above the inserted pole symbol.

Thanks for trying.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

”Boost