AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extract points from 3D face

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
9901 Views, 12 Replies

Extract points from 3D face

Dear community,

I have a problem where a TIN (object class 3D face) is given(see attached) and my aim is 1. to extract the points at the vertices of the triangles, 2. remove the duplicates and 3. create a .txt file containing the X,Y,Z coordinates of the remaining points. Which do you think is the best command sequence to do that using AutoCAD Map 3D 2013;

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

create a new drawing, use command _ADEDRAWINGS to attach your drawings with the 3D-Faces.

Next use command _ADEQUERY to create a report, that report gathers the data

X1,Y1,Z1

X2,Y2,Z2

X3,Y3,Z3

X4,Y4,Z4

After you got the ASCII-file from that you should continue in database like functionality to get the colums for value 2, 3 and 4 as additional records into columns X1,Y1,Z1 and requery with DISTINCT to get only the first of the doubled values.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

thanks for your time! After creating the ASCII-file, I think lost you somewhere along the line but I 'll try to figure it out.

Stefanos

Message 4 of 13
antoniovinci

Another way is the following one:

1. explode your Tin up to lines
  2. save as DXF
  3. run the free Dxf2xyz to get 304048 redundant triples
  4. run the free Notetab to automatically remove the duplicates, getting 19114 unique triples (check the attachment)

καλησπέρα !

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: antoniovinci

Hi Antonio,

well at first I tried to explode the 3d faces but this object class cannot be exploded. After, searching in the forum I discovered that I could explode the 3d faces only If I had converted them in regions or surfaces. The problem there is that out of the approximately 30000 3d faces,  8000 cannot be converted to regions and the message on the command line states that : "1 closed, degenerate or unsupported object rejected". So, I cannot proceed with the other steps..

Grazie per l'attenzione

Message 6 of 13
antoniovinci

stepolitis wrote:
this object class cannot be exploded

I used this one, sir.

Message 7 of 13
braudpat

Hello

To complete the good answer of Antonio & Alfred sometimes on 3DFaces, I need to get 3D Points !

So I use a Lisp routine which draws a 3DPoint at each 3DFace vertex !

Don't forget that you will get many duplicate 3D Points ...

With the tool "_DataExtraction" you can easily extract the 3D Point Info (XYZ) to Excel (.CSV) or to .TXT

and then please eliminate/purge duplicate points ...

Warning : Please run the routine "3DF_to_3DPoint" into the GCS not into an UCS !!

Happy Sunday, Patrice

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

Well thank you Patrice for your great advice! I think I am going to use map cleanup first for removing the duplicates.

Message 9 of 13
braudpat

Hello

1) The advantage to use the Lisp routine (to get 3D Points)  is that you don't need MAP

2) To run the command MAPCLEAN (a powerful feature of MAP) you need an AutoCAD MAP (or AutoCAD CIVIL) ...

but to erase duplicate Points, you can use the OVERKILL command (it's pure AutoCAD coming from the Express Tools) 

Happy Week, Regards, Patrice

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I tried to enter the command _ADEDRAWINGS and Autocad came back with unknown command.  I have Autocad Lt. do I need the full autocad?

Message 11 of 13
АлексЮстасу

This command exists only in AutoCAD Map 3D and Civil 3D.

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 12 of 13

where should i write the commands??

Message 13 of 13

Hi,

>> where should i write the commands?

Into the AutoCAD command line.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta