AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exporting to DXF

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
608 Views, 5 Replies

exporting to DXF

Hello,

I've been trying to export a file to DXF, but  when I open it on another computer,  it will only show those objects drawn in the file and none of the data points or polygons I connected through .SHP files. Is there a way to get these features and their data to show up in an .XDF

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

What entity type are the objects that do not show up?
Use the LIST command in the original drawing to find out, and post back.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

if you need geometry as AutoCAD objects (and so to open/view them on other systems using the DXF format) you have to import the SHP geometry using command _MAPIMPORT instead of just referencing them (using command _MAPCONNECT).

Another option could be, to keep all stylizations for the SHP(s) is to run command _MAPEXPORTCURRENTMAPTODWG (>>>details<<<) as first step to convert the FDO stylizations to plain AutoCAD geometry objects and then open this DWG and save it as DXF.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

perfect. thanks. Anyone know why the feature properties, like the names for all my polygons, don't cross over to the conversion?

Message 5 of 6
rkmcswain

Probably because DWG and/or DXF do not support such property.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

I have a bit a different explanation: because these objects are only referenced and not really part of the drawing.

It's like an XRef: within the DXF you only have the information "at this position/rotation/scale show the dwg-file xy", but you don't get the objects/the content from file xy into the DXF of your current drawing. FDO-objects are also referenced and not part of your drawing, same with images (not OLE objects).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta