AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect to ArcGIS Service not in Portal

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1473 Views, 4 Replies

Connect to ArcGIS Service not in Portal

Hi there, 

The Autodesk Connector for ArcGIS is great but I am wondering if it is possible to connect to an ArcGIS MapServer or FeatureServer that is not made available through Portal for ArcGIS?

Previously, this was possible through the ArcGIS for AutoCAD plugin. Has the plugin now been replaced by the Autodesk Connector for ArcGIS?

Ideally the functionality to connect directly to ArcGIS Services (rather than via a Portal) would be built in to the Autodesk Connector for ArcGIS as even if the ArcGIS for AutoCAD plugin is not deprecated it is awkward for users to have to install it. 

Many thanks,

David

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: Anonymous

OK, but why? I've come across many who use that GIS connector and so far there isn't anything they can do that that I can't using plain ol' Map3D. 

What are you trying to make a connection to? Do you want a specific connection or do you have a generic-type of connection problem?  

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to connect directly to MapServer or FeatureServer REST URL provided by ArcGIS Server. Is this possible? 

Message 4 of 5
Gary_Braun
in reply to: Anonymous

I've had this as a wish list suggestion for years.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-map-3d-ideas/fdo-provider-for-arcgis-rest/idi-p/6708254

Now that Autodesk and ESRI have begun working together more closely in some areas, I don't think it will ever happen now. ESRI is driving users towards Portal/AGOL, and that appears to be where Autodesk is going with them, so the dream of a REST Service connector is unlikely to be fulfilled.

BTW, ArcGIS for AutoCAD is an ESRI product, and you can still get it from them.

https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-for-autocad

I've installed and removed it more times than I care to think about. Never did like it much and would still prefer an FDO REST Service connector.

Gary

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Gary_Braun

Thanks Gary, that's very helpful. You're right it does seem like Esri wants everyone to use ArcGIS Online or Enterprise with Portal (more lucrative maybe?). Disappointing that it's not available so I suppose we'll use ArcGIS for AutoCAD or find an alternative. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report