AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change height of polyline hatch from Shapefile

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
thibeau_margoANXT6
661 Views, 10 Replies

Change height of polyline hatch from Shapefile

Hi

I'm need to convert a shapefile into a .dwg with 3D elements. The buildings are simplified to closed polylines which have all the properties from the .shp. Via a query> alter properties, I could set the thickness of the polyline to the height of the building that was provided in the .shp. Beside that, I used that query to created a hatch of the groundfloor of each building.

To finish the model, I need to elevate the hatches to the roof height for each building. This value is similar to the previously used one and can thus be taken from the polyline properties.

How can I change the height of these hatches with the query?

This figure shows how the model looks atm, the hatches are all located at elevation = 0.

thibeau_margoANXT6_0-1692880954300.png

And these are my current settings for my query:

thibeau_margoANXT6_1-1692881082540.png

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi @thibeau_margoANXT6 

You want the red hatch to look like it's the roof of a building and not like it's the floor, correct?

If you're using Alter Properties as part of your query, then you're on the right track. Yes, raising the roof can be done, but rather than explaining the Alter Properties workflow, would it be possible to upload the building footprint shapefile so images along with captions can be provided?

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 3 of 11

Hi @thibeau_margoANXT6 ,

I think, you can alter elevation of existing hatch, but I don't think you can create a hatch at a specific elevation during alteration. 

If you want to obtain 3D Solid form closed polylines with height as OD, you can use my free plug-in which has a dedicated function for that.

Olivier

Olivier Eckmann

EESignature

Message 4 of 11

Hi @thibeau_margoANXT6 

Rooftops have been elevated and hatched, Chicago, Illinois. 

No plug in needed, no 3rd party software required. Workflow entirely done using Map3D toolset.

Map3D, using a sample of building footprints. Some rooftops have been elevated and some didn't have enough data so hatch might remain at z=0. Bing map aerial.

101.PNG

For comparison, 3D view using Google Earth.

102.PNG

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 5 of 11

Hi  @ChicagoLooper 

That's exactly what I want to achieve. The pictures of the elevated floor plans shows a model like a need.

Autodesk does not allow to upload a .shp file in this thread so I made a wetransfer link. If you prefer to receive it via another way, let me know. The data object 'HN_MAX' refers to the height of the building. 

Message 6 of 11

Hi @thibeau_margoANXT6 ,

When hatch is added by alteration, it uses elevation of polyline, so you can create your request with ELEVATION and THICKNESS set to HN_MAX, and HATCH

O_Eckmann_0-1692952372260.png

When done, select all polyline and set elevation to 0 via OPM.

O_Eckmann_1-1692952503642.png

Olivier

Olivier Eckmann

EESignature

Message 7 of 11

Hi @O_Eckmann 

I tried to follow your steps and after executing, the hatch is on the right level, but my polylines are on top of the hatch and thus too high. How can I fix this?

thibeau_margoANXT6_0-1692958085331.pngthibeau_margoANXT6_1-1692958103352.png

Message 8 of 11

Hi @thibeau_margoANXT6 ,

There are 2 actions to do :

1 : once your request is executed,

2 : select all of your polyline (select one, and right-clic / select similar), then set elevation to 0 in the properties palette, to set back to Z = 0 => bottom of buildings

Olivier 

Olivier Eckmann

EESignature

Message 9 of 11

Oh I see, thanks for the solution it worked!

Message 10 of 11

Hi @thibeau_margoANXT6 

<<...That's exactly what I want to achieve. The pictures of the elevated floor plans shows a model like a need....>>

Yes, you can use your shapefile (refer to upload link in Post #5) to add thickness to the building footprints and apply hatch to make rooftops.

1001.PNG

Map3D Toolset only. Don’t need a plug-in or Lisp. 

The process requires, MapImport and Queries. 

Once you've perform MapImport on your shapefile save it as BUILDING.dwg. Then perform a SaveAs on Building.dwg, this time rename it ROOF.dwg. You'll end up with two drawings which you'll use in your queries: one query to create the roofs and another query to apply 'thickness' to make exterior walls.

Attached is a video illustrating the procedure.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 11 of 11

Thanks for the video! This way also worked for me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report