AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Model in Excel File to Autocad

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
607 Views, 2 Replies

Block Model in Excel File to Autocad

Hi,

I'm trying to transform a Excel Geological Model Data to an Autocad Design. The Block model have Centroid Coordinates (X,Y,Z), Block Dimension (dX, dY, dZ) and other data (Lithology, Chemical Analisys) separated by Columns. Normally a Bloco model contains more than 1M Lines. Does anyone know a method for importing this information? Is there a way to automate the size of the Blocks with the information contained in the spreadsheet (dimensions)? 

Atacched there is an example of a file and my idea is to have something similar to the pic below:

index-filter.png

Thanks!

Samir 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TerryDotson
in reply to: Anonymous

I can see this as being possible.  Is this format specific to your organization or somewhat of an industry standard?  Also what differentiates the object colors, So the column "LITO" is a good candidate for the layer, and you can assign colors to the layers.  Be forewarned that creating nearly 835,000 separate objects will certainly bog CAD down.

If the blocks of a given stack could be consolidated (same layer of course), the routine could compare the X/Y and use the min/max Z along with the common dimension.  This would  significantly reduce the data burden.  Last is the object type drawn.  A rectangular polyline with a thickness would be the fastest generating object, a cube (box) 3dSolid would be slower but could possibly be unioned to form a true solid model.

Be aware that Excel can be used to create Script files for AutoCAD.  You could add some columns to your spreadsheet to calculate the four corner coordinates of each tile, then use those carefully arranged columns to generate the results yourself, driving the PLINE or BOX commands.  This blog post demonstrates creating a simpler script and the general procedure could be adapted to your more complex case.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: TerryDotson

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply. This type of file (block model in .csv format) is a industry stardard. Due several geological modeling softwares in market, exportation process to excel file is a common pratice.

I used your recommendations and the file really gets very heavy. I was unable to open the file generated in recent autocad versions, when I click to activate 3d. I thought it could be a solution to standardize the models, but I saw that the modeling softwares have more agile processes!

Thanks Again.

Samir

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report