AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a new attribute to an existing block

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
johnyPZ57P
217 Views, 1 Reply

Adding a new attribute to an existing block

I have created a custom block with attributes. I then extract the data to Excel for BOM purposes.

The following is how I attempt adding a new attribute to an existing block within my drawing.

1. I select the block (in model space) and change the scale to 1:1, change the layer to 0 ( I understand if you create a block on 0 layer, you later can control the block color).

2. I explode the block.

3. I then add the attribute to the exploded block.

4. I then "Create Block" and select the existing block name I am modifying, Pick the pick point, select all the exploded block objects along with the attributes (including the new attribute), then make it Associative and Save. It prompts to overwrite existing block and I say Yes.

5. The modified block is correct reflecting the added attribute, but all the other blocks in the drawing do not update.

Is there another way, or could someone explain what I am doing wrong?

Another way I have tried is opening the block in Block Editor, add the attribute and Save. It prompts to redefine existing blocks and I say yes, but the new attribute is not present.

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: johnyPZ57P

Hi @johnyPZ57P 

Yes, there is.

1. Right click on your Block=>select Block Editor from the shortcut menu.
  2. In the Block Editor, enter ATTDEF on command line to 'define' a NEW attribute. There's no need to EXPLODE or SCALE.  Pay attention, be wary of the Layer you're using. (Establish the parameters of the new attribute--you'll probably want to match the Text Style of the existing attributes, e.g., font height, color, etc.) Decide where you want the attribute to land relative to the block itself. You can click-and-drag to fine tune the final position. There are many parameters when creating or adding a new attribute to an existing block. You may keep their Default values OR customize the attribute to your liking. While in the block Editor, you may customize the attribute inside the Properties Palette by overwriting current values to your customized values.
  3. From the Ribbon, close the block editor making sure you SAVE the changes when exiting. All saved changes will be applied to ALL block instances when returning to modelspace.
  4. You will need to synchronize (or refresh) the edited block when returning to modelspace using ATTSYNC command. Follow the instructions on the command line during the sync.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report