Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will AutoCAD LT run on Windows 10 using an ARM processor?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
GSA_AutoDesk
16281 Views, 13 Replies

Will AutoCAD LT run on Windows 10 using an ARM processor?

Some of my designers are interested in the new Microsoft Surface Pro X but it runs on a custom ARM processor.  Will AutoCAD run on this platform or are they limited to Intel/AMD processors only?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
DarrenP
in reply to: GSA_AutoDesk

no it won't

if your running 2020 or higher this will not work

don't think Autocad was designed to work on a ARM processors

read this: 64-bit (x64) apps won’t work. You'll need 64-bit (ARM64) apps, 32-bit (ARM32) apps, or 32-bit (x86) apps. You can usually find 32-bit (x86) versions of apps, but some app developers only offer 64-bit (x64) app

pulled from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/surface-pro-arm-app-performance

this device seems very limited on what you can install & run on it

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: DarrenP

I'm confused.  The 2020 version of AutocadLT has a 32bit version.  Will that not run on the Surface Pro X?  It states it will run x86 programs, just not x64?  

Message 4 of 14
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

LT2020 is only 64bit https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Sys...

ARM processors are not up to the task: if you have this device already, or have access to one, download and install AutoCAD2020 on it to see for yourself.

Message 5 of 14
Uhlhorn

@DarrenP  schrieb:

this device seems very limited on what you can install & run on it

Not so on new Mac Books! They are very powerfull.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Uhlhorn

what is supposed to be mean?

your still limited on what you can install & run on the new mac book pros

Message 7 of 14
djilali.chadli

hi , are you able to update you answer now with the Windows 11 ARM and 64bit emulation on it that works good 

Message 8 of 14
DarrenP
in reply to: djilali.chadli

the system requirements are still the same

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 9 of 14
pendean
in reply to: djilali.chadli

@djilali.chadli If you only wish to just the low-end hardware/OS options, you can only use the web variant of AutoCAD which has limited but useful functionality for most casual users like yourself
https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-web-app/overview

HTH
Message 10 of 14
Uhlhorn
in reply to: pendean

@pendean  schrieb:
@djilali.chadliIf you only wish to just the low-end hardware/OS options, you can only use the web variant of AutoCAD which has limited but useful functionality for most casual users like yourself
https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-web-app/overview

I think you are not up to date.

Do you agree that for very large projects you need a powerful GPU with as much RAM as possible? Then maybe you know that there is no graphics card with 64 GB RAM for PCs. The PNY NVIDIA GV100 graphics card, for example, has only 32 GB and costs over 17,000 EUR.

The new Mac Studio can use the whole RAM for graphics, so much more than just 32 GB. Moreover, the M1 Ultra is much faster and more powerful than a 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W processor in most things.

On a Macbook Pro, Windows runs faster in a VM than on most real PCs. But this Windows is a Windows for ARM.

So if I want a really potent workstation for CAD, I go for a Mac Studio with M1 Ultra and 128 GB RAM / GPU RAM these days. And it doesn't cost 50,000 USD.

Message 11 of 14
pendean

@Uhlhorn You should flag the person @djilali.chadli that is asking, not me, I am sure they would want to know your recommendation is within reach 

pendean_0-1647378937667.png

Message 12 of 14
Uhlhorn
in reply to: pendean

Yes the price is low.

So, If You want to have the most powerful AutoCAD computer You should run a Mac with Windows for ARM in a VM (or AutoCAD for Mac, if You don’t need a Windows only plugin).

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-15 um 22.35.31.png

Message 13 of 14
pendean

@Uhlhorn You should flag the person @djilali.chadli that is asking, this is quite informative.
Message 14 of 14
Uhlhorn
in reply to: GSA_AutoDesk

Yes, You are right. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report