Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spline lines will not offset

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
meb58
242 Views, 3 Replies

spline lines will not offset

Good morning all,

I searched, read and tried several solutions for offsetting spline lines...I cannot seem to find a method that works.  Furthermore, if I create a series of spline lines in model space, some will offset and some will not...there does not seem to be a rational explanation as I have kept the vertices to between 3 and 5.

In addition, if I create a series of spline lines in model space connected to no other object, they offset just fine.  But as soon as I connect a spline to a geometric circle, for example, the spline cannot be offset no matter how many or little vertices I have used. This is a real example; I am designing a circular drive court then using a spline to organically layout the driveway approach.

Oddly, this does not happen in every DWG file...I seem to incur a fair number of problems, the spline offset being just one, when I copy a Civil Engineer's drawing into my template.

I attached a screen shot illustrating several spline lines that offset just fine, but the spline attached to the geometric circle will not offset.

Thank you,

Michael

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: meb58

The error message you posted is quite specific: it is informing you your object needs to be fixed to remove non-planar points from it.

Ask your Civil Engineer to send you a 2D-only version of this file so you can use your 2D tools in LT on them, that should solve it. If that is not an option, then you will probably need to share with us your actual DWG file here to see if anything can be done in LT to dumb it down enough so you can use the 2D tools in the program on the objects.
Message 3 of 4
meb58
in reply to: pendean

...interesting...thank you.  I will ask the surveyor now...hopefully he knows how to do this.  This may clear up many questions...

Michael

Message 4 of 4
meb58
in reply to: meb58

Good morning,

Another observation today...

• When I select a Spline Line and click properties, Control Point Z is 0. 
  • If I select a Line or Circle and click properties, End Z often reads as 777'-6" 

I am focused on Z as this is the 3D axis?  Does this mean anything?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report