Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Defaults for Dimension Style, Text Style, and Multileaders Style

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mikeM892M
1402 Views, 7 Replies

Set Defaults for Dimension Style, Text Style, and Multileaders Style

I would like to be able to open a new drawing, and have the dimension style, text style and multileader style set as a default, but as it stands right now it seems to be just completely random. I am working in LT 2018. 

All I tried was going into my template file and setting the right styles, and then saving, but this didn't work. I couldn't find anything online, but I thought this would be a pretty common problem.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

-Mike

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: mikeM892M

You will need to create a template file with all these settings already defined, then you either start with the template file (SAVEAS) or set QNEW command to tap the template to get you started.

>>>...but this didn't work....<<<
That doesn't tell us much: explain.
Message 3 of 8
csmithF28SL
in reply to: pendean

@pendean I think what he meant was his newly edited styles, were not applied to subsequent files he created, i.e. the  style mods he applied didn't appear to SAVE in the template. For every new file he opens, he has to repeat the Modify/Override steps in the STYLE window.

How do we create a Template that will contain our preferred Defaults?

How do we apply previously created style overrides to a newly created workspace and/or subsequent .dwg files without going through the TEXT/DIM style menu overrides?

Message 4 of 8
pendean
in reply to: csmithF28SL

There is no "create a template then have it's content show up automagically in all other files" option in AutoCAD: are you/them thinking that's how it works perhaps?

AutoCAD rule #1: you cannot import same-named objects and styles from another file and have the existing update all by itself. Unles you get into programming (or changing their names).

Back to topic at hand:

A template file in AutoCAD is just a DWG file that contains all of your desired settings (layers, text/dim/mleader/table styles, variables and more etc.) that is then saved as a DWT template file (using SAVEAS command) that every one of your users starts with to create new content.
a DWT file is 'locked' from editing, no one can change anything in it. If you have changes, that file gets replaced fully.

If these template standards need to be imported into existing drawings, you all can use ADCENTER or CHECKSTANDARDS or CLASSICINSERT commands or other methods like INSERTing your existing files into the template then using SAVEAS to create an updated file, along with many other options out there.

HELP in AutoCAD as well as dozens of online tutorials can get you started, here is a link to get your search moving https://www.google.com/search?q=autocad+tip%3A+how+to+create+template+files

HTH
Message 5 of 8
RobDraw
in reply to: mikeM892M

@mikeM892M wrote:

I would like to be able to open a new drawing, and have the dimension style, text style and multileader style set as a default, but as it stands right now it seems to be just completely random.

AutoCAD doesn't do random. These settings are saved in the drawing. In order to set them as current, you would need some sort of customization. Easily done with the full version but not sure about LT. You might be able to create a macro command to set them all as current and associate that with a button.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 6 of 8
csmithF28SL
in reply to: RobDraw

Current LT 2021, as well as previous versions going back to at least 2012, do allow TEXT/DIM/MLEADER formatting/style overrides.
Message 7 of 8
RobDraw

The question, as I understand it, is not about overrides.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 8
pendean

One more time, with more words:

There is no "create a template then have it's content show up and be preset as default automagically in all other files" option in AutoCAD/LT.

There is also NO built-in OOTB option to "make active my own perfectly defined text/dim/mleader style in every single DWG file" simply by the action of opening a DWG file. This requires the last person to save the file to deliberately reset everything to the desired predefined settings before they exit.

HTH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report