Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Select previous' but for newly created entities

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
derekshoupLQWBA
372 Views, 11 Replies

'Select previous' but for newly created entities

Scenario: In AutoCAD, select 2 or more entities and either copy or mirror them (without erasing source objects) to create new entities. For reference, if next step is ‘Select previous’, the originally selected entities are reselected. BUT is there a way to easily “group” select not the original selection, but all the new entities? I guess I’m looking for something similar to ‘Select last’ but that applies to all the newly created entities; not only the very last one.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
steven-g
in reply to: derekshoupLQWBA

Unfortunately not, that is how previous and last work there is no way to change that.

Message 3 of 12
pendean

Not really: but explain your process in more detail, perhaps there is another option.

Have you had a chance to explore offerings in the Autodesk App Store for your need for full AutoCAD (not LT) https://apps.autodesk.com/ACD/en/List/Search?isAppSearch=True&searchboxstore=ACD&facet=&collection=&...

Message 4 of 12
steven-g
in reply to: pendean

@pendean  Apps in LT? 😀

EDIT oops just reread your non LT disclaimer

Message 5 of 12
derekshoupLQWBA
in reply to: steven-g

Oops - I should have specified this is for LT.

Message 6 of 12
derekshoupLQWBA
in reply to: pendean

For example, I copy some entities 10”,15”, but afterward realize I should have copied them only 10”,10”; so either have to Undo or move the new entities 0,-5”. I’m looking for some command to select the entire group of new entities for easy moving. (If I were to invoke the move command now and select ‘previous’, AutoCAD would pick the original entities; not the new ones.)
One workaround I have used is to copy the entities to an open area on my drawing, then select them and move them so that when I need to move or copy them again I can simply select ‘previous’ and AutoCAD would pick the new entities.
Just wondered if there is a better way.

I'll take a look at the App Store.

Thanks.
Message 7 of 12
derekshoupLQWBA
in reply to: steven-g

Oops - I should have specified this is for LT.
Message 8 of 12
pendean

Explain your process in more detail, perhaps there is another option.
Message 9 of 12

It looks like "Selection Manager" is exactly what I need. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
Message 10 of 12

It appears this app is not compatible with LT - can anyone confirm?
I would just download it and try it myself, but we are prohibited from downloading anything ourselves.
Message 11 of 12
pendean

LT's price-point means you do NOT get to any add-ons as options. Sorry.

COPY command reserves "previous" to the original set of items you picked, there is no "grab more than one item I just created with the COPY command" in AutoCAD except for "last" which is limited to one item as you know. If I understood your need correctly. You could presumably always create a GROUP every time you used COPY (through a button, nothing typed) but then you'll at some point end up with thousands of groups in each of your files.
Message 12 of 12

@derekshoupLQWBA wrote:
I copy some entities 10”,15”, but afterward realize I should have copied them only 10”,10”; so either have to Undo or move the new entities 0,-5”. I’m looking for some command to select the entire group of new entities for easy moving. 

Are you aware that you can still use Previous to select the same objects again after you Undo the Copy? UNDO the mistake and then COPY PREVIOUS to try again.

Alternatively, if you intend to carry out other operations such as Rotate or Scale on the new objects, first COPY the original objects in the same place (pick the same point twice for basepoint and destination) and then MOVE PREVIOUS to relocate the original objects, leaving the copies where they are. You can then continue to use Previous to reselect the relocated objects for other commands.

Both of these methods avoid the need to make two separate selections.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report