Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling Certain parts of drawing

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
adJQ9S6
240 Views, 2 Replies

Scaling Certain parts of drawing

This may be a very niche request. But I have projects I work on at work that require me to scale only certain parts of drawings. I am relatively new to AutoCAD and come from a solid works back ground. In solid works it is possible to lock certain dimensions or locations of objects in relation to another. I am struggling to find a way to do this in AutoCAD. 

The goal for me would be to be able to open a parent file, change a couple of dimensions that we need to be different and have the rest of the drawing follow the guidelines set.

In the drawing you can see that they are simply scaled drawings of the same thing. however where some sizes change others remain. The smallest squares remain the same size and their positions remained the same relative to the center points of the outer rectangle. This is the case for the long rectangles as well, with the exception that their width remains the same but the height changes. 

I apologize for the awful explanation, if I can clarify more please let me know. Thank you.

adJQ9S6_1-1717090039314.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: adJQ9S6

@adJQ9S6 wrote:

..come from a solid works back ground. In solid works it is possible to lock certain dimensions or locations of objects in relation to another. I am struggling to find a way to do this in AutoCAD...

You are posting in, and I assume you are using the software this forum support, the AutoCADLT forum: in this variant, Parametric Controls (aka what you used in SolidWorks) are not an option to create to use, but if someone with full AutoCAD can set that up for you in each and every DWG file, you can at least use that ability in LT.

If creating and using Parametric Constraints this is a dire business need, you will need to abandon your LT subscription and start a new subscription for full AutoCAD (+/- 4x the annual cost) to do what you want https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2025/ENU/?guid=GUID-899E008D-B422-4DF2-AC8D-1A4F5701ED4E

BTW, the comparable SolidWorks software at Autodesk would be Inventor or Fusion. if you do that type of work, as AutoCADLT is just a general CAD type program, smarter that paper drafting but not best for SolidWorks type of automated output.

Back to your post: in LT, explore SCALE command, here is an easy to follow online tutorial

https://solidprofessor.com/blog/how-to-scale-in-autocad/#:~:text=How%20to%20scale%20down%20in,a%20nu...

Message 3 of 3
adJQ9S6
in reply to: adJQ9S6

That's kind of what I have been figuring out. A lot of the things my company is asking me to do will require me to get the full program. I currently only need the drafting abilities not the full 3d which is why I use AutoCAD. 

Thank you fo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report