Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paste range of cells from Excel into AutoCAD table

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Crass
45965 Views, 16 Replies

Paste range of cells from Excel into AutoCAD table

I simply want to paste a series of cells from excel into an existing autocad table. About 8 rows, 1 column thick. I want the values to acquire the destination formatting too if possible. I do not want to create an OLE object or anything fancy. I have seen instructions to use "Paste Special" on forums, but I do not have this choice when I right-click. I'm sure this is possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
pendean
in reply to: Crass

PASTESPEC is the command name, type it.
Look up usage in Help.
Message 3 of 17
Crass
in reply to: pendean

The PASTESPEC command is helpful to know.

However, I still do not see how you can "paste as rows" - this is the nomenclature from Ms Word.

When I go into an AutoCad table cell, I do have "Paste Special" > "Paste without Character Formatting" as the only option. This pastes all data for multiple rows into one cell. I want to enter data into multiple rows at once:

Excel Row 1 > Cad Row 5,

Excel Row 2 > Cad Row 6,

Excel Row 3 > Cad Row 7,

etc ...

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
Message 4 of 17
pendean

There is no 'paste as rows" in AutoCAD: you can only paste what you pre-select and copy in Excel.
The choices of the command are worth exploring in HELP, as well as testing: try each and explore what they offer and if that meets your needs.
Message 5 of 17
Crass

FYI, This is the best solution for my situation:

1. PASTESPEC
  2. Paste as AutoCad Entities
  3. This creates a brand new AutoCAD table. You can select the range of columns and rows you like, copy
  4. Paste into exiting AutoCAD table.

I can update multiple cells at once, which is a big timesaver in this case.

Thanks Dean.

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
Message 6 of 17
litopena

After you have copied the area from Excel, go into AutoCad and do not right click instead click on edit button then click on paste special then click on Excel link.

Message 7 of 17
Crass
in reply to: litopena

Where is the edit button you are talking about? Dos this make an AutoCAD editable table or OLE object?
-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
Message 8 of 17
pendean

EDIT pulldown menu: PASTESPEC is the command if you want to type it. It's just another option, a linked OLE object is the result.
Message 9 of 17
litopena

I think we are not on the same page. If I am not wrong, you want to extract some values from Excel tables directly into existing Autocad tables. I have not tried that because I don't like using the Table function in AutoCad since it is very slow and very limited in function. I do all my tables and calculations/programming in Excel and then I would just paste them onto Autocad. You can highlight/copy the range in Excel and then right click in Autocad and it will allow you to paste the excel file as a one autocad entity. The problem with this is that if you update the Excel file, the one pasted on Autocad will not be updated. However, if, after you higlight/copy a range in Excel, go to your Autocad drawing but instead of right clicking, click on the Edit pulldown menu then click on paste special then click on paste link. It does create an OLE and each time you update and save the Excel file it will automatically be reflected on the Autocad.

Message 10 of 17
mhaneyPJ82S
in reply to: litopena

Thanks, this worked perfectly for me.

Message 11 of 17
khalidwageh

when i paste the table from excel to auto-cad , the color of the text is black and the text style inside the table is standard , how can i change it to any other text style without edit cell by cell ?

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 17
pendean
in reply to: khalidwageh

What method of "pasting" did you do?
Message 13 of 17
khalidwageh

I SELECTED ALL THE CELLS I WANT THEN I COPED IT IN TO AUTO-CAD AS WRITTEN . THE TEXT COLOR IS BLACK AS IN THE EXCEL SHEET , TO SOLVE IT I CHANGED THE TEXT COLOR IN EXCEL THE I COPED IT TO AUTO-CAD , IS THAT RIGHT ?

Message 14 of 17
avflow

The text appears black and cannot be changed all at once after pasting AutoCAD Entities. Is there a way to change it all at once to white?

I am unable to change all pasted cells to white, color 7, for some reason.

Please help?

Message 15 of 17
bleonard9YNE6
in reply to: avflow

I'm having the same trouble - Copy from Excel>Paste Special>ACAD Entities

The text color comes in as black 0,0,0 and does not correlate with the standard white (7) in my layer. To change the color, I have to change it via Text Edit by changing the text in each individual cell to By Layer (white). This is very time consuming... Is there a work around?

Message 16 of 17
hwalker
in reply to: bleonard9YNE6

Unfortunately not in LT. In full AutoCad I believe there is a workaround which sorts the table all at once.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 17 of 17
cadffm

{ in full-AutoCAD i would use the tool STRIPMTEXT }

In LT i would change the color in Excel, of course it is still an internal truecolor mtext format,

but others way with a real solution is to much work or needs much knowledge how to edit

File content by workarounds (like ascii DXF or temporary inside another software)

- Sebastian -

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost