Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSnap

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
823 Views, 29 Replies

OSnap

When I, for example, stretch one object to another, having Object Snap on makes it snap to an OSnap point just by having my curser over the second object. That is to say, if I have it to snap to midpoint, it'll snap to midpoint even if I'm nowhere near the midpoint, or if I'm trying to snap to the grip point on the end. Also, trying to move anything near text snaps to the insertion point (and I use that too much to want to turn it on and off every time). Is there any way to disable this, or make it so that it waits until I'm close to the snap point before it warps me over?
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no automatic-snap feature in AutoCAD, so there is nothing to turn
off/disable.

Is this something new that started?

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
http://www.pendean.com/lt
--
Message 3 of 30
Anonymous

Ah, learning the fine art of using oSNAP.

You will learn that oSNAP is both handy and cumbersome at times. The best advice I can offer is this:
1. Turn off the snaps you don't use often. You can type the shortcut for the snap into the keyboard if you only use it once in a while.
2. Zoom in a little bit closer to the point you are trying to move something to. This will cut down accidental snaps going to the wrong snap.
3. Hover your apperture box over the point you need and learn where AutoCAD makes the switch from endpoint to perpendicular to midpoint etc.
4. Get a mouse with more buttons that allows you to program specific snaps into the mouse when you need them most.

I'm using Logitech's MX Revolution. It has 11 different buttons (including left and right click) that serve program specific functions. When I'm in AutoCAD, snaps are at my fingertips (ortho and osnap toggles are also programmed on a couple of buttons) and when I'm in Word or something else, the buttons are programmed for different tasks. Logitech has impressed me with their ability to adapt quickly to different programs.
Message 4 of 30
Anonymous

lrlandusky wrote:
> Ah, learning the fine art of using oSNAP.
>
> You will learn that oSNAP is both handy and cumbersome at times. The best advice I can offer is this:
> 1. Turn off the snaps you don't use often. You can type the shortcut for the snap into the keyboard if you only use it once in a while.
> 2. Zoom in a little bit closer to the point you are trying to move something to. This will cut down accidental snaps going to the wrong snap.
> 3. Hover your apperture box over the point you need and learn where AutoCAD makes the switch from endpoint to perpendicular to midpoint etc.
> 4. Get a mouse with more buttons that allows you to program specific snaps into the mouse when you need them most.
>
> I'm using Logitech's MX Revolution. It has 11 different buttons (including left and right click) that serve program specific functions. When I'm in AutoCAD, snaps are at my fingertips (ortho and osnap toggles are also programmed on a couple of buttons) and when I'm in Word or something else, the buttons are programmed for different tasks. Logitech has impressed me with their ability to adapt quickly to different programs.

You can hold the F3 key down to temporarily disable snaps.
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous

Well, F3 will toggle Object Snap, but that's not what I'm looking for. Thanks, though.
Message 6 of 30
Anonymous

If I had an eleven button mouse (or the budget for one) I'd be playing games with it, sadly.

Your advice about zooming in closer brushes on one of my key issues. If I'm zoomed in, and I just want to stretch a point near another, it can trigger snaps even if they're off screen.

Let me describe it with an example: I frequently work with text and lines, and I keep my insert snap on because I use it frequently. I'm lazy, so I will often stretch an existing line by selecting it and moving the grips instead of erasing it and drawing a new one. If I stretch that line too close to the text, it can decide that I want it to snap to the insert point, even if that point is 500 words back. Zooming in gives me a little more finesse, but increases the likelyhood that the insert point will be offscreen, hiding the OSnap icon.

I just want my OSnap points to activate if I'm near them. Midpoint turning on just because I'm working on the end of a line is ridiculous. I know the issue can be dealt with by turning them off every five seconds, but that's not a solution, it's a cop-out.
Message 7 of 30
Anonymous

Aperture setting tip noted, try a setting of 1.

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
--
Message 8 of 30
Anonymous

Uh, no. I explained it badly, probably due to a frustration-based linguistic breakdown. I've explained it better since then.

You make add-on products, right? Would it be possible to make an Object Snap priority list? As in, which snap gets first priority in a given situation?
Message 9 of 30
Anonymous

I keep a small aperture for that very reason, but it's not solving the problem. What I want is to change the snap detection from "Cursor over the object" to "Cursor within a few pixels of the point". If I want to snap to perpendicular, I want to be pointing at a reasonably perpendicular part of the geometry, then have AutoCAD help me out. I don't want to be pointing half a mile away and get "helpfully corrected", and I don't want to have to toggle my snap every five seconds.
Message 10 of 30
Anonymous

Basically, if you get within a few pixels of an object, it determines the closest snap point and stick you with it. I want an option under Options/Drafting/AutoSnap Settings where AutoSnapping can be toggled between "Within a few pixels of an object" and "Within a few pixels of a snap point". I know where perpendicular is. I can tell where the midpoint is. I can determine an endpoint just by looking at it. And if I'm not pointing at them, I want nothing to do with them. I don't want "fixes", I don't want "work-arounds", I want a patch or an add-on for a very small problem that would make a huge difference.
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous

What about TAB to cycle through available osnaps?

wrote in message news:5690255@discussion.autodesk.com...
Basically, if you get within a few pixels of an object, it determines the
closest snap point and stick you with it. I want an option under
Options/Drafting/AutoSnap Settings where AutoSnapping can be toggled between
"Within a few pixels of an object" and "Within a few pixels of a snap
point". I know where perpendicular is. I can tell where the midpoint is.
I can determine an endpoint just by looking at it. And if I'm not pointing
at them, I want nothing to do with them. I don't want "fixes", I don't want
"work-arounds", I want a patch or an add-on for a very small problem that
would make a huge difference.
Message 12 of 30
Anonymous

That's what Aperture does, nothing more, nothing less.

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
--
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous

I think Irlandusky pretty much nailed it: you want a "fix" instead of a
learning curve. Very understandable, we've all been there.

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
--
Message 14 of 30
Anonymous

No problem, I figured it out when I read other's replies as well LOL

See Kate's reply about using TAB key: which running osnaps do you normally
set?

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
--
Message 15 of 30
Anonymous

Well, no, I've been using AutoCAD for long enough that I'm quite familiar with it. I've got the learning curve. I just don't see why I should have to learn how to work around something that could easily be a non-issue. The problem isn't that I don't know how to use the software, the problem is that I know how easy it would be to fix; I just don't have the skills to do it.
Message 16 of 30
Anonymous

Just so that there's no confusion over what I'm talking about, I've included a screenshot.

As you can see, I'm snapping to midpoint. Well, you know what, if I'm nowhere near the midpoint, I don't want to snap to it. The aperture setting can determine how close you have to be to snap to a point, and a simple option of whether you have to be close to the point or close to the object would suit me perfectly. I really don't see how this is unreasonable. I know it doesn't exist, but it would make my job easier.

As for what snaps I run with, my current task is hatching in specific rooms on floorplans, and inserting symbols into legends, so I keep midpoint (to draw a boundary across doorways), perpendicular (because some doorways are uneven), and insert (because our legend blocks are configured so that you can just paste to the last icon's insert point and everything fits). It's not a lot, because I keep a flyout on a custom menu bar for the ones I only use a little.
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous

First, thanks, I hadn't known that shortcut.

Second, my problem is that I don't want to be snapping unless I'm close to the point I would snap to. It isn't snapping to the wrong points.
Message 18 of 30
Anonymous

I might have lost track with the thread but, what is your APERTURE set
to, and does it make a difference when it is say set to 5?
Message 19 of 30
Anonymous

My aperture is set to 1, but it doesn't make a difference; it's still activating snap points by proximity to the object, not proximity to the point.
Message 20 of 30
Anonymous

That's normal. It works on pixels, not distance from the point. Notice
that whether you are zoomed right in, or right out, the distance from
the point when the snap marker appears is the same, or near as.

Sneaky wrote:
> My aperture is set to 1, but it doesn't make a difference; it's still activating snap points by proximity to the object, not proximity to the point.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report