Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOOSING XREFS

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
434 Views, 4 Replies

LOOSING XREFS

I've been using the free dowload of CAD LT before making the purchase.

I have a problem loosing xrefs I've previously inserted and saved on a drawing. In other words, I insert the xrefs, save and close the program. When I open it again, the xrefs are gone.

I get a message that I don't understand so I'm asking for your help. See attached image.

I'm saving all the drawings to CAD 2007 in an effort to avoid problems, but...

We've created all these drawings with other versions of CAD, so there might be a problem somewhere along the line.

Any help will be appreciated. I only have a few days left in the trial test so I have to get this resolved.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Like 2007, pathing to the xref is important. What options are you selecting, NONE, RELATIVE or FULL PATH? You've not told us much.

The pop-up message, separate item altogether, is informing you that you opened an old 2007 format DWG files in s newer version of AutoCAD that may upgrade content and stop it from being accessed in 2007. This is important, a business decision for you to make. Are you really planning on abandoning 2007, whether you go with LT or not, and never share files with 2007 seats?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

As for the path to xrefs I've been selecting NONE.

Why? Honestly I don't really know. Forgive my ignorance.

As for the version, I want to save everything to 2007 unless there's a very important reason for NOT doing so.

Message 4 of 5
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Instead of NONE, try FULL PATH and see if your problem in the test environment goes away.

Unless you are using 2007-2008-2009, newer versions of AutoCAD will upgrade content in your file to match the newer formats. Regardless of whether you save down of not (this is irrelevant): this issue is critical if your 2007 files contain AEC content that you must preserve, not so critical if you don't care about AEC content or have no use for them or don't even know what they are.

FWIW In a testing environment with new software, you should be working in copies of your project files so you have a backup "just in case" there is something you need to put back. It's the better approach.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for your suggestion. It seems to be working, now. I'll continue to work on this and see if it happens again.

On the other matter, you're correct, I don't know what an AEC is. I don't think it's ever been done here. I'm not concerned about them.

When we purchase the new program I'll probably save all drawings to 2016 as I work on them.

Thank you again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report