Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to import a Google Earth picture to scale?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
40388 Views, 18 Replies

Is there any way to import a Google Earth picture to scale?

I need to generate a site plan to scale in AutoCAD for a large solar array.  Is there any way to import a picture at scale from Google Earth?  I know that I cannot do it directly in AutoCAD LT, but is there a way to do it through SketchUp?  I can import from Google Earth into SketchUp at scale; is there a way to export it so that AutoCAD will receive it at scale?

Thanks,

Gordon

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Ask Sketchup support since that is your question (and be prepared for the answer that you must pay for the full version of SU)
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I figured out a way to do it. It's not perfect but it will suffice for my needs, I believe.

1. In a SketchUp window, geolocate the site and capture a Google Earth image.  It comes into SketchUp at scale.
  2. Draw a line of known length (the longer the better) parallel to an axis off to the side of the imported image.
  3. Export the SketchUp image to a png file.
  4. In an AutoCAD window, Insert > Attach the png file as big as you can make it.
  5. Draw a line congruent to the line added in SketchUp.
  6. Measure/dimension that line in AutoCAD.
  7. Divide the length of the line in SketchUp by its length in AutoCAD.
  8. Select  the imported image in AutoCAD, select Modify > Scale, and set the scale factor to the quotient in Step 7.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

That really is about the best method you could employ.  Because the GE image is an image it's going to be like any other where you have to verify the scale in AutoCAD before you can work with it.  You'd do the same thing with any .png file, whether it's from a photo or something else.  In my case I'll do the same thing with PDFs.  Rather than import them directly I'll resave them first as a .png (there will often be a savings in file size) and then import and go thru the same procedure... check rotation first, then scale. 

I love SketchUp too.  There are a lot of features in it that I'd love to see Autodesk employ.  I do miss SU's ability to import DWG files now tho'.  Now it's only available in the pro version.  It used to be in the free one.  🙂

Dave

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

I figured out a more direct way to do it.  In Google Earth there is a scale bar that you can turn on, and when you save the image in GE you can import it into AutoCAD.  Then you can dimension the scale bar, figure out the ratio of the dimension to the number on the bar, and scale the image accordingly. No need to go through SketchUp.

Message 6 of 19
heinsite

That will get you close, but I like to be certain. 

When I want to combine an image, usually an orhographci, with a drawing file rather than trust the scale on the image I'll find two points on the image that mate with known points on the CAD file.  Then a line on the image provides a check of the correct distance.  Any difference will be adjusted using the SCALE command on the image.  I'll do the same thing to adjust rotation... even if it's just a minor tweak.  Find two nice lines that can be checked against each other, find the angle error if any, and rotate the image to the CAD file.  Now you're good to go.

No matter what, to get the scale correct on the image you've got to have a known distance somewhere.  And I've seen enough other problems with GE images to be more than a little suspicious.  Smiley Wink

Dave

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: heinsite

Aye, but there's the rub, innit? Establishing two points a known distance apart may be a tough requirement to fill if it's a site you have never visited, much less measured.

I have had occasion, however, to make measurements on a site in Google Earth and then go and measure it with a surveyor's tape. On a 300' roofline there was less than a 1' discrepancy between the two measurements.  I would not use it to size structural members from space, but for what we were doing (laying out a rooftop PV system for a quote) it was surprisingly accurate.

Message 8 of 19
heinsite

Yup, a rub it is.  I think for estimating and order of magnitude purposes your method will be good enough. 

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Message 10 of 19
Anonymous
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

Did you realize that this thread is over four years old? I figured out how to do this a long time ago.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

The problem is not exclusive to you, thought. Smiley Tongue

Message 13 of 19
heinsite

Not directly unless of course the photo is georeferenced and has a lot of other metadata.  But that's most likely not what you're going for you.

But the process is really easy with the ALIGN command.  You don't need to know the scale if you have some background linework to reference against the photo.  All you need to do is bring the image in and place and scale it anywhere near your target area.  Then select a point on the photo to match a point in your drawing.  Do this for two points.  Then answer Yes to rotate and scale.

ALIGN will quickly become your friend ... trust me!  Have fun!

Dave

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: heinsite

Thanks, Dave, but I posted that a long time ago and my AutoCAD chops
have improved significantly since then. I use the align command 20-30
times or more daily.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

Hopefully all of ours have. 🙂 Mine did too. Happy CADding!
Dave
Message 16 of 19
gotphish001

It always makes me laugh when an original poster comes back and responds to a very old thread years later when someone revives it. This ones pretty old. I think 13 years was the longest I've seen. You did come back twice though which is a new one. haha

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: gotphish001

I try to please. I also have the memory and attention span of a gnat... one w/ minimal ACAD skill. Lol.
Have a great weekend!
Dave
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

Okay.

Here I am.  Walk me through it experts. 

I usually do Windows Key + Shift + S and take a snip of the whole thing in google earth (north arrow, scale bar, google earth image). 

I LOATHE the google earth scale feature.  To get it to be an standard number is exponentially time consuming.  I do a lot of these snips for proposals/pro bono type work at the firm, so honestly I don't want to divert any other team members for a quick burn (especially as a former drafter with available CAD access).

Kindly list the steps I need to move an image from google earth to autocad (specifically civil 3D, ideally spatially referenced), but whatever, I just need a scaled item on a 8.5x11 sized template:

Step 1: Locate AOI in google earth;

Step 2: ....

@gotphish001 

@Anonymous 

Also.  I'm interested to hear if there is a path/profile export shortcut.

Message 19 of 19
Anonymous

Wow. I must have asked this question, what, 6 or 8 years ago?

For my purposes it's pretty simple. I export (save) the Google Earth
image at highest resolution and insert it into model space in AutoCAD at
my best guess of what size it should be. I use the measuring tool in GE
to measure the distance between two sharply recognizable points as far
apart as possible in the image, and then I use the Align tool in AutoCAD
to scale the image, i.e., I draw a line between the two points on the
image in AutoCAD, draw another line the length of the measurement from
GE, select the image, type align, select the points on the first line to
align with the second, and answer yes to the scaling question that pops up.

The Align tool is one of the most powerful tools in AutoCAD; I use it
many times every day.

I hope that helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report